MongoDB to Quicksight

Is there any one have a scheme for how to import and analyze MongoDB to quick sight dashboard

1 Like

Hi Kareem,

We have a MongoDB to QuickSight connector on our roadmap. When it becomes generally available, you will be able to select MongoDB as a data source and seamlessly import data into QuickSight for analysis. I suggest subscribing to alerts on the Announcements section of the Community to receive updates on all new features as they GA.

In the interim, folks have reported success bringing int MongoDb data by writing a script to bring the necessary data from Mongo and storing it on RDS or S3. Then it is simple to use S3 or RDS as the data source in QuickSight.

If this answers your question, please mark as “Solved”. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi All, I too have the same challenge where I want to connect MongoDB to AWS QuickSight. Is there any updates on the roadmap item by when this connector will be available?

In the mean time, do you have any recommended connector/solution by which I can connect the MongoDB to QuickSight for the dashboard creations?

One of the work around solution ( possibly a proof of concept is require), unload the data to S3 and create Athena table on top of that and use QuickSight to use Athena as data source till Mongo DB connection is possible from QS.

Regards - San

1 Like

Hi @AMIT_MALIK ,

Using Athena query federation : Visualize MongoDB data from Amazon QuickSight using Amazon Athena Federated Query | AWS Big Data Blog

Kind regards,
Koushik

2 Likes

Thank you @Sanjeeb2022 , @Koushik_Muthanna for your help. Let me try the suggested way to create the connection. I will let you know if I will need some more help.

Regards,
Amit Malik

2 Likes

Hi @Koushik_Muthanna it is possible that you can help/guide me for this? I have completed all the tasks mentioned in the blog shared by you. I am not able to connect Athena with MongoDB instance. Tried all the possible way but I am not able to populate the Database through Athena. Same MongoDB endpoints are working fine when I use them with SQLBooster.

I am not getting any error, but no result too.

@AMIT_MALIK : Thanks. Are you able to unload the mongo db data to S3 location as JSON? Can you do the same first and then create athena table on top of that?

Regards - San

Hi @Koushik_Muthanna , @Sanjeeb2022 good news to share. I have been able to make the connection between Athena and MongoDB now. There are some steps that was missing on the blog page. I will share the detailed steps with you. At the high level, it was the peering connection, which needed to be establish between the 2 VPCs.

I am stuck on the next step now. I am able to populate the databases from Athena and I can see all the table and other objects also appeared in the menu. When I am try to query the data, I am getting the following error:

NOT_SUPPORTED: Table has no columns: ds_mongo_stag:LambdaTableHandle{tableName=TableName{schemaName=test-uat, tableName=camps_configs}}

This query ran against the “test-UAT” database, unless qualified by the query. Please post the error message on our forum or contact customer support with Query Id: f16e211d-64cd-4153-8d9f-170042876e19

Hey @Sanjeeb2022, I was following the steps shared by the @Koushik_Muthanna on the AWS blog. The reason I followed that step is I did not want to duplicate my MongoDB data to S3. Please correct me if I am not thinking in the right direction. I thought to use the main data source as the reporting data.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting us know @AMIT_MALIK! Glad you found a solution! Yes, please post your additional steps here. It will be a great help the community! Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @AMIT_MALIK for the details. Yes I do agree, duplicating the same data in S3 may not be a right solution and architecture principle. Can you please check whether you are able to run simple select statement from Athena console. If yes, then QuickSight is also do the same thing as well.

If possible, please raise a service request to AWS team so that they will investigate and see your environment in chime and fix it quickly as well. your AWS admin can help you in raising support ticket if you do not have access.

Regards - San

1 Like