MySQL Query Timing out

I have a query that executes in 10 minutes if I run it on MySQL workbench; but processes for hours when creating the dataset and eventually fails.

Has anyone experienced anything similar before? Any idea why I’d be seeing different behavior when executing the same query against the same database from different clients?

Hi @rens - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting the questions. Can you please validate below points.

1. What is the data volume of the sql, can you please take a count .
  2. Also can you create a CTE and take a count something like
    With Temp as ( << Put your sql)
    select count(1) from Temp

The above statement will provide the exact time of the complete sql, in my sql workbench you ma have set 1000 rows to return.
3. Extract the explain plan and see whether the sql has any issues or not.

QuickSight should work if your sql is good as when you are creating data set, it may try to look all records.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Sanjeeb. The strange part is that I’m not limiting the query return in Workbench. I’m getting 30 million records returned in Workbench in 20 minutes. This same query never returns and fails in quicksight.

Hi @rens - Is your dataset in SPICE? If yes, can you please extract the ingestion ID and raise a ticket to AWS Customer support team why it is taking time? Ideally it took the same time like workbench.

To raise a ticket to AWS Customer support team, please follow the link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like