Need help to replicate Year over Year - when KPI is a calculated field

Can someone help me replicate this - https://democentral.learnquicksight.online/#Dashboard-TipsAndTricks-Calculation-Year-over-Year-KPI My measure is a calculated field expressed in terms of percentage?

is it possible to define your calculated field in the dataset?

I’m afraid that is quite complicated and want to treat this option as my last resort. Is there any way to go about it in Quicksight without tweaking the dataset?

1. Create a parameter with string data type and a control based on it:

2. Create a field for period “Granularity”:

3. Create a KPI with “Granularity” in Trending group and your metric in value:

4. Create another filter for picking up a date:

You will get what you want. Enjoy it. The demo central might implement in another way. But with my solution you should be able to get what you want.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Ying! This worked :slight_smile: Is there a way I can show the % decrease in bps, as my value is in %age terms? I do not see any automatic options in Quicksight, but are there any hacks around it?

1 Like

hi @Tanisha_Shetty could you please elaborate your request further? I might be able to find a trick for you. What do you mean about bps?

Sorry Ying, I should have been clearer in what I am trying to achieve. bps - meaning basis points is basically a %value multiplied by 10000. So a 0.1% = 10bps. The intent here is to capture minute losses with greater precision.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is unsupported now…

This feature would be so helpful to have. Also, had a question on the period over period graph we just created. Suppose I pick the monthly granularity - is it an MTD vs previous MTD comparison or is it MoM comparision for that particular day vs the previous month?

2 Likes

It is a MoM of the month which you select the date, vs the last month. For example, if you pick 2022-01-01, it will be 2022 Jan compared to 2021 Dec.
Thank you for your feedback! We will continue to support you with more advanced solution. I agree with you, it is a valid use case.

Thanks Ying! Was unaware you were from the Quicksight Team - good to know! :slight_smile: If I pick the month period and the date 2022-01-01, it will be the full month of January2022 compared to the full month of December 2021 if I’m right? What happens if I pick the date 2022-05-01 - will it be 5 days of May2022 compared to 30 days of April 2022?

If I pick the month period and the date 2022-01-01, it will be the full month of January2022 compared to the full month of December 2021 if I’m right?
Right.
What happens if I pick the date 2022-05-01 - will it be 5 days of May2022 compared to 30 days of April 2022?
Right.

1 Like

Hi @Tanisha_Shetty. For the period over period question, if you are using the newly launched POP functions, it will enable you to compare the partial period - in your case 5 days of May with 5 days of April. Please refer to the Advanced use case #3 in this following blog.

1 Like

Thanks Emily :slight_smile: Is it possible to use this function while using the KPI? I don’t think so. :frowning: Also, would you notify me when the feature gets added to Quicksight? Is there any ballpark ETA that you have in place?

Is this feature available yet? This would be so helpful to have.

@Ying_Wang +1 for this feature request

2 Likes