Overflow error while performing multiplication

Hi,

Currently I’m migrating a dashboard from Tableau to QuickSight and I’m facing an overflow error after the creation of the calculated field:

The formula of the calculated field is the following:

sum(ifelse(isNull({field_a}), {field_b}, {field_a}) * abs(sumOver({field_a},[{agg1},{agg2},{agg3}],PRE_AGG) - sumOver({field_b},[{agg1},{agg2},{agg3}],PRE_AGG)))

I know that the abs() part works good and already tested, but, the problem comes when I add the multiplication.

Does anyone know a workaround for this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Jose

@Jose_Siles Is this a very large number? The only thing I would suggest would be to divide it by a multiple of 10 or so and let everyone know that this in the thousands or something. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Hi @Max , good morning!

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are right. The number was too large to “perform” the multiplication, so, my workaround was to divide the field by 1000 (numerator), perform the multplicaction and, then, divide the denominator also by 1000.

If you ware wondering why 1000 and not 10, it’s because 1000 is the minimum value that reduces the field to be able to perform the operation.

Once again, thank you for your time and help!

Best,

Jose

3 Likes