Parameter controls not changing when a dataset parameter is updated with the new parameter

Hi,

In my dataset I am using an ID parameter. I have multiple parameter controls in my analysis linked to fields from my dataset. When the dataset ID parameter is changed from the default value to another value, the parameter controls in my analysis do not update. They still show the values that are linked to the default dataset ID parameter, not the values that are linked to the new dataset ID parameter. Is there a fix for this that doesn’t involve bringing in a new dataset?

As we’re integrating the dashboard with our product, The entire point of having dataset parameters is to reduce the dashboard load time. If we come up with RLS, does this help in achieving our main goal? Why don’t we consider it as a bug or Change Request and build the same in the upcoming releases? Please consider this as a major bug. It is a data breach and Complience issue.

Thanks,

Hello @uday, there are a few things that could be helpful on this issue. First of all, is the parameter on your dataset mapped to the parameter in your analysis? Also, if they are linked, do they both have their own default value set at each level? From what I understand, even if they are linked, it will take the default value that is set at the analysis level rather than the dataset level if they do not match.

I don’t want to say you should totally exclude the idea of implementing RLS. Depending on your use case, it may be beneficial to ensure that specific users are only able to see data that is related to their permissions or job functionality. Plus, that can be used to dynamically update the default parameter value depending on the user that is viewing the dashboard.

Hello @uday, are you able to follow-up with some more information based on the questions I asked in my previous response? That will help me provide you with more information and a possible solution to the issue you are facing. If we do not hear back from you in 3 days, I will archive this topic. Thank you!

Hello Dylan,

I appreciate your prompt reply.

Indeed, the parameter in my dataset corresponds to the one used in our analysis. However, the crux of the matter lies in why the control dropdown defaults to the dataset’s parameter value when all data has been filtered according to the parameter specified in the URL, contingent on the user’s login. Ideally, the dropdown should update based on the dataset filtered within the dashboard, correct? Currently, selecting any option from the dropdown results in an empty dashboard. This raises the question of the dropdown’s utility for parameter filtering.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hello @uday, I know you said the parameter in the analysis corresponds to the one in the dataset but are they actually mapped together? The option will show at the bottom of the create or edit parameter modal to map that connection. Also, if there are multiple datasets containing that parameter you will have to map all of them.

To me the issue sounds like that parameter is changing the value to filter the data by, but the dataset is only returning values related to the default parameter value set on the dataset layer. When you are utilizing Direct Query, that parameter value is often setting some kind of Case When or Where clause in the SQL to only return necessary data. I’ll link some documentation that will provide some more information for connecting those 2 parameters together.

Let me know if that helps!

Hello @uday, did my last response lead you to your expected output and resolve the issue you were facing with the parameter connection? I will mark it as the solution for now, but please let me know if you have any remaining questions on this topic.