Parameter in dataset only for custom sql?

Hi,

we can now add parameters in a dataset.

Is this feature only useable for custom sql datasets?

I tried to use this with an Spice dataset with Athena as the source, but when I use the parameter in a calculated field, I get an internal error when refreshing the dataset.

Thomas

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

Dataset parameters can be used in custom SQL within direct query datasets only. However within calculated fields you can reference dataset parameters even within SPICE dataset.

In QuickSight documentation there are 3 use cases explained. Usecase-1 “Custom SQL in direct query” works with direct query but Usecase-3 " Move calculated fields to datasets" works for both SPICE and Direct query datasets.

Can you please validate if you are using correct calculation syntax. Please also share your calculated field formula referencing the dataset parameter.

I would also recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Anwar Ali

1 Like

Hi,

so this is my parameter:

these are the calculated fields I tested:

I get this error

Do you see an error on my side?

I also created a support ticket for this.

Thomas

1 Like