Pass parameter value from dashboard to dataset custom query - possible?

I have a dataset that is pulling ALL data in our ecosystem. We are embedding a dashboard for anonymous users and utilizing tags such that the customer pulling up the dashboard only gets access to their data. The issue is I have some on visualization filters (where I added the filter to the sheet) and I want the options displayed in the drop down to be only applicable to the customer’s options. Right now the options available for our entire ecosystem.

I know that if I add a control to the top for the customer ID or some equivalent, I can use this control to filter the values in the drop down filter (select related values only) but I do not want to add controls on the dashboard.

Is there a way to pass the parameter value / tag value to the dataset custom query so that I am 100% sure the data being pulled for the dashboard is tied to the customer itself? Let me know if I am not making any sense!

Hi,
What I understand that you are looking for a feature to be able to pass parameter values to a dataset SQL query.

What I would like to understand is if tags are not applied to the dataset acting as source for filters and if that is the case, is filter dataset joined to the dataset on which tags are applied to show only customer relevant data. In short, tags that are being passed to secure and show the customer relevant data are in no way associated with the filters dataset. If that is the case, try joining the tags secured dataset with the filters dataset to show only relevant values in filters.

Thanks

Hi, @pyi. We hope Deepak’s solution worked for you. Let us know if this is resolved. (And if it is, we’d love it if you could mark his answer as a “Solution.”) Thanks!

correct, I want to restrict the SQL dataset. I am using tags for the embedded anonymous api feature but the tags are used at the end of a SQL statement - this is especially an issue when the automatically generated SQL dataset creates subselects; the subselect is executed in its entirety then the tags/“where statement” is applied after. This causes our dashboards to be slow to load. I created a AWS case and this was entered as a product feature request. I do not consider this to be the “answer” until the function gets rolled out into production.

@pyi,

I will reach out to you directly, please respond back to me.

Thanks
Deepak