Pass value of calculated field/KPI visual to parameter for conditional formatting

I have a calculated field created in the dataset (during data prep). The field recognizes a filter I created, showing the correct value on the KPI visual. I’d like to pass the value from the visual (or the underlying calculated field’s value) to a parameter so that I can use the conditional formatting based on that parameter’s value (e.g. show a visual when parameter value is greater than some value). Is there a way to do this?

I tried setting the parameter to a default value against the dataset but instead of getting a numeric value (it’s a count function), I get “All” which I think is due to the User/Group constraint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HI @Ronald -

Thanks for the question. This is a great feature request. Currently, you can only set parameters through actions and urls.

Here is a workaround that requires user action, but maybe you can make it work with your dashboard experience.

Step 1 - Create a parameter to control hiding/showing your visual
pKPICheck

Step 2 - Create a Navigation action that sets the parameter based on your calculated field

Step 3 - Create a navigation action that resets the parameter for the conditional visual.

Step 4 - Add conditional formatting to your hide/show visual to indicate status

Result:
2022-09-13_09-37-46 (1)

1 Like