Performance Concern for Dashboard with Several Datasets

Hello, I am evaluating QuickSight to see which Design would work better for performance:

• Fewer consolidated Dashboards containing several Sheets / Datasets.
  • A multitude of Dashboards but each containing fewer Sheets and Datasets

I will be embedding my dashboards into a Web App and am wondering if I should leverage QuickSight’s Sheet feature. When navigating between different sheets in a dashboard, will queries be executed when the sheet loads?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @codoxo.paul, welcome to the QuickSight Community!

I will do my best to guide you, but I would say some of these things are personal preference and also dependent on the data you are wanting to display.

From my experience, I find it is most impactful to keep visuals on a single sheet relevant to each other. Normally I’ll have an executive summary sheet that highlights the major metrics that are being evaluated in the dashboard, with some of the visuals on that sheet containing actions that will guide you to other sheets with more information. You want to make sure that the story you are conveying in the dashboard will be easy to understand for your readers and ensure the visuals make sense together. Don’t be shy to split it up into more datasets/dashboards if it makes the dashboard easier to understand.

In regards to your final question, that depends. If you select to save your datasets in SPICE, then there will be no need for a query to the database to be made when a user loads the dashboard. That data will be added to SPICE and you can set times that you would want it to refresh from the datasource. Now, if you use Direct Query, it will run queries when the user loads a new sheet.

Let me know if this helps! If you have any remaining questions, I am happy to help.

1 Like

Hello @codoxo.paul, I hope my you found my last response helpful. I will go ahead and mark it as the solution. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any more guidance on this topic. Thank you!

1 Like

yes, thank you for the tips,.

1 Like