Power Bi to AWS migration

@saunakchandra Hi Saunak,

Greetings !!
Last year in AWS Reinvent you demonstrated Power Bi to AWS QuickSight .
Wanted to know some details about it .
How you read the Power Bi File or .pbix file , Power Bi has not opened its services and it is limited to some services hence wanted to know how you read the file.

This is one of the biggest highlights for AWS reinvent 2022, Thank you .
Thanks & Regards
Shiv

1 Like

@Shiv, I have informed Saunak about your ask.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @vshivku1,

You can save the .pbix file into Zip and open the Layout file as plain text. The Layout file is the dashboard metadata containing visual properties, filter, action, data transformation, physical dimension of visuals etc. You need to parse this file first before converting into QuickSight recognized JSON format. This JSON formatted file then can be passed to QuickSight extended API. For example you can run below CLI commandaws quicksight create-analysis --cli-input-json file://./PBI_converted_file.json for converting to a QuickSight analysis.

The .pbix to Zip format is mentioned in this PBI forum.

1 Like

Hi @saunakchandra Thank you so much !!
Just wanted to let you know I have done successful automated migration from Obiee & Tableau to QuickSight.

Thanks Again.
Shiv

Hi saunakchandrais there any general documentation of how to migrate from power bi to quicksight? I’m attempting to convert the layout to recognized JSON format, but it seems difficult, I’m not familiar with the syntax.

How did you do the parsing part?

Yeah I am struggling with that as well. Not sure how to make that happen

@vshivku1 How did you convert your the layout file to quicksight recognized JSON format?

Hi vshiku1,
Can you describe steps for me how can you done to migrate from OBIEE to QuickSight. Thank you in advance.