Problems with timezone in dashboards

Hi there!
I’ve been facing an issue ever since quicksight released the time zone adjustment feature for dashboards.
Here’s the thing, If I create a visual (table, kpi, etc.) and I filter it so that the date field is the current date, it doesn’t show anything. However, if I filter any other day, it does show data. My dataset date field is transformed to my local time zone and I’ve tried both UTC and local time zone in dashboard configuration.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Hello @Zeke !

To start some trouble shooting, could you try making a calculated field that just equals now() and then apply that to a table visual to see what value it returns? I want to test what time Quicksight is returning for local time.

Also, a potential work around could be creating a date time parameter that is relative to “today” but the formatting could be wrong for your use case.

Hi!
I tried the now() calculated field and it works well with the timezone I pick. If I choose local timezone, the now() field gives me my current time, and if I keep it in UTC it works correctly as well. But here’s the thing, if I use my date field truncated by day, the filter does not work (I am already using a parameter in order to filter several visuals, but I tried without the parameter as well)

Hey @Zeke !

What type of filter are you using or how are you setting up the date filter? Are you using a date range filter or relative date filter?

This might not be the best fix, but depending on your data and if the need is for the data to be filtered by the current date truncated to just day, you could try making a calculated field for Todays date like below:

Today: truncDate(now())

1 Like

Hey @Zeke !

Were you able to try the suggestion I made above?

1 Like

Sorry for the delay!

It happens to me in both relative or absolute filter types.

The problem I have with this is that I cannot use the same timezone in both dataset and analysis. So when somebody wants to check a dashboard at a time in which it is another day in UTC, when I do not convert the analysis timezone, they cannot see any data because it already considers it to be the next day. But when I convert it, they see the date field correct,but no data displayed because the filter does not match!

Hi @Zeke - Ideally we should maintain same timezone in data set and analysis to be more consistence from end user prospective. Is there a reason you are choosing different timezone at data set and analysis level. We usually set the timezone as per the primary user base which is same as aws region as well.

By saying that let’s hear from @duncan on the same as well.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Hi! There’s not any reason to use different timezones, the thing is: I was already using local timezone in dataset before quicksight introduced the option to modify analysis timezone, because I’d rather have the mentioned issue than have a 3 hour difference in data dates (My local time is UTC -3).

Now that I have the option to choose the analysis timezone as well, I ran into this problem

1 Like

Hi @Zeke - Thanks for the details .I believe the ideal way to make one time zone both in data set and analysis level. If it is too difficult to manage, you can look for an approach to create a calculated field and have a field which will have the quicksight time zone ( by adding require time interval to local time).

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hey @Zeke !

Just to check, does this still happen when you use the original UI for quicksight analyses?

Hi! Yes, it is regardless of the UI

Hello @Zeke!

Considering that in your original post that this started when the new UI released, and you haven’t run into this issue previously my suggestion is creating an AWS support ticket. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf.

Okay, I’ll try that. Thank you!

1 Like