Quicksight login user track

Can we check the login details of users who have recently accessed QuickSight via cloud trail ( do not find the api which can give the details) or any other way?

Thank you

Hi @ajio ,
CloudTrail logs contains all your user activities and can be used it to view most commonly viewed dashboards or any other key usage metrics you are trying to accomplish.

Please refer the solution provided in this blog: Building an administrative console in Amazon QuickSight to analyze usage metrics | AWS Big Data Blog it guides you to build an administrative console and monitor usage metrics.

Please let us know if this is helpful.

1 Like

thank you @Neeraj for assisting but i guess n the blog i only see logic to create the calculated fields to analyze future user login activities/ actions done from the user. For past ones can we track it with any api on ctrail?

Ask here is if any qs users logins to console can that be tracked?

Hi @ajio - Using cloud trail, you can collect all QuickSight events and filter the event to get the user details. Please see the event details from the below URL - Logging operations with AWS CloudTrail - Amazon QuickSight

Ideally, you can collect the cloud trail logs to S3 and create an athena table on top of that and then use sql to filter out QuickSight events to get the require info. The blog provided by @Neeraj is a good one to get details around it.

Regards - Sanjeeb

thanks @Sanjeeb2022 but i do not require the user activites like createdashboard/ other user realted api in ctrail. can you provide with the exact api to search for to track login activities of all users. the blog as said is a setup but not a solution to track the activities by looking at it.

thanks for your support. looking forward to your answer.

regards

Hello @ajio, my apologies for the delayed response. I think what they were suggesting above is that if you haven’t set up your QuickSight account with CloudTrail, there is not a way to return historical records regarding user sign in. One feature that is available is to check the user list in the Manage QuickSight section of the console, and there you are at least able to check the last time a user was active on QuickSight.

If you want to start storing this log data though, I think the best solution will be to follow the steps in the blog post that @Neeraj posted above. While it won’t give you previous logging information, it will make sure you have it available moving forward. There are some QuickSight API calls that may give you some useful information like ListUsers, but it won’t give you the detail that you will receive from CloudTrail.