QuickSight Q Default Geospatial Dimension

Hello,

I have a dataset for “Members” that contains the following relevant fields:

• MemberId (synonym = member)
  • MemberFullName
  • zipCode
  • state
  • country

When I ask Q the question, “Show me a map of all members”, I was hoping that I would get a geospatial map of all members. However, the result I am getting is simply a table of MemberIds and I cannot change the visual type to a map.

When I change the question to “Show me a map of all members by state” or “Show me a map of all members by zip code”, it does show me a map.

My question is, is there a way to set a default geospatial dimension, so that when I ask Q for a map, it can generate a map without the user having to specify which dimension to search by?

I don’t think you can do that.

Have you looked into topics?

I don’t know if that is exactly what you are looking for but it might help.

Hi @TheCardlessMoose Max is right, you currently can’t set a default geo column for a topic. This is an interesting feature request though, I’ll report back here if we prioritize it. In the meantime, you might be able to set “map” as a synonym on the geo column that you want to be the default. Once you do that, wait a minute or so and then try “map of all members” again (without specifying a group by). Let me know if that does what you’d expect.