QuickSight Q - Generating a Map

Hi, I’ve created a topic that has geo data with longitude, latitude, full address and even a calculated field for zip code. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to generate a map from the Q bar. The map options are always disabled.

What is needed to visualize a map from the Q bar?

You need geospatial for any of the data.

So right now, you would need to reference longitude or latitude in your fields. Can you confirm that those are geospatial data? After that can you show my your Q query with those two in it?

If you want to look at zip code, can you try and move your calculated field for Zip code to the dataset and change the data type to postal code and then try using that?

1 Like

Thank you. That did the trick. I thought it would pick up the data type automatically. Initially I had created the calculated field in the Topic, but after seeing your screenshot, I went back to the dataset to add it there and once I selected the data type for the lat/lon and zip code fields, I was able to generate geospatial data.

1 Like

Thanks for this solution, @Max! Can you please share what the calculated field should look like for using lat/long to create zip code? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @alaresch I don’t have that. I believe @Mario_Rodrigues has that.

hi Mario! Can you please share the zip code calc field you used?

1 Like

Hi @alaresch, for my dataset, I had the full address in one field. So all I did was create a calculated field for the last part of the address to just get the zip code. In my case, all the zips were US addresses with only the 5 digit zip so I did a RIGHT() function.

1 Like

Thank you! Makes sense. We are tracking it on the roadmap to support lat/long OOTB for Q (points on a map similar to what you can plot with lat/long in a dashboard)

2 Likes