Quicksight Q "Why" not recognizing years beyond 2023

Hello,

I have a dataset with a date field with years beyond 2023 (forecasts), that I would like to compare the key drivers for. When I enter the question “why did cost increase in 2023 op1 for build year in capex”, I am able to get a result with any prior year, however, when I enter 2024 or any years after Q throws an unanswerable error. I’ve attached images of the result with 2023 vs the error received once a future year is entered. Is this expected behavior or perhaps user error? I’ve already tried using next year and specifying the year column, but still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.44.03 AM

Adding expected result.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.43.06 AM

hi @kkimelma

Welcome to QuickSight Community and thank you for posting your question!

@alaresch, I can see the same error message returned in my env as well when ‘why’ question with year of 2024 is used. any idea?

kind regards,
Wakana

Hi @kkimelma, the reason you are running into this issue is that 2024 is not yet complete. Put another way, Q is trying to compare all of 2024 to all of 2023 but it is throwing the error because there were 12 months in 2023 and as of this comment we are only in January 2024. We have not yet added support for on-going spans, however we have this on our roadmap. In case you’re curious, Q’s current behavior is the way it is to provide you an apples-to-apples comparison. In the meantime, if you pick a smaller span like “last week” or something more focused on where you have observed the increase then it should be able to give you the answer you expect. Saying “January” wouldn’t be specific enough in this case because January is still on-going (but once we hit February then January will work because the month has closed), so if you tried that I would expect you would run into this same error.

@skalisky, Thanks for the reply! Is there a way to implement the logic using a date field from the data itself? In the particular dataset, there is complete data from 2020 - 2027, but if this isn’t a current feature definitely understand.

At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a better service. I have tagged this as a feature request.