Radar Chart Axis Max Value

I’ve recently started using QuickSight. I have a chart that I built, but I’m not understanding what the max axis value represents. The metric I’m evaluating is PVC% (number of people that watched a show / all active customers).

The max value for Big City Relationship makes it look like this is a high performing segment when in reality it’s at 9% while the world creation action segment is at 30% but looks like it’s underperforming. Can anyone explain how QS selects the max value for each category axis?

@tantzen - Thank you for posting your query. In order to ensure you have uniform axis ranges, you need to define your custom range under the Format Visual Option like how shown in the below snapshot. By default it remains “Auto (based on data range)”, which is basically the cause of different axis range for different category values. Hope this helps!

Did my suggestion help you in resolving your query? If yes, would request you to mark the post as “Solution”. This will help the community to find guidance and answers to similar question. Thank you!

1 Like

The issue with the custom axis ranges is that the viewership of a movie/tv show can vary greatly, so if you set a max range based on the most popular content then smaller content will look incredibly small on the chart.

I’m still not understanding how QuickSight determines the max value of the axis when selecting auto. Right now the auto view doesn’t seem to tell me any meaningful information.

@tantzen - Tagging few QuickSight Team members who will be able to provide you more apt information.

@Koushik_Muthanna @gillepa @Wakana @Jesse @EnriqueS @Asem

1 Like

Hello @tantzen, thanks for your feedback.

If I understand it correctly you would like the radar chart to take values range for the X axis based on the overall values (min and max) across all categories and not based on individual categories as it works at the moment.

As you might now, at AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. so I will contact the product team with your feedback and add it to our internal feature request tracker.

Kind regards.

@tantzen sometime back we launched radar chart axis improvements where you can now set shared or independent scale. From what I see you have independent scale, which makes it hard to compare if you have a common measure, PVC% in your case. I would suggest setting a shared axis which would also be dynamically set the min and max values across all axis based on filter selections Amazon QuickSight adds axis customization options for small multiples and radar chart