Really big default column width in tables

When I make a table I frequently have an issue where the columns are really wide. It’s always the columns that contain a lot of text, but the width is much greater than the largest text value in the table. The thing is I don’t see a way to manually set the column width or a limit to the column width. To resize them, I have to scroll to the edge of the column and repeatedly click and drag it over to the left. It’s really annoying.

Is there really no way to just manually set column width? If no, why not?

3 Likes

Hello, there is currently no option to manually set the table column width, however we will take this under consideration for future enhancements to the table visual.

Hi Jan,

How can we add our vote for this future enhancement. Quicksight is unusable for tables with a lot of data as the column width expands to wider than the screen.

3 Likes

Hi Jan,

As above. Is there any update on this feature request?

Some of my visuals are unusable as the column width just keep defaulting to a width too wide to use and manually dragging them all to a correct width doesn’t keep them that way when the page is reloaded.

It happens for me but after I change the column width the first time, QuickSight remembers it and I don’t have to change it again. Does it get reset for you?

1 Like

Hey Jan,

Same that @cwoodford was asking, how could we +1 this feature so that hopefully it gets prioritised?

Thanks,
Irene

Hi All, you can reach out to your account manager to have them add a +1 to the existing feature request. Please include as much use case information as possible. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @evanct,
We understand your frustration and wanted to let you know that we are actively working on a solution to address this issue. Please DM me if you would like to preview this feature once ready

1 Like

@Irene_Tobajas @David_Wong @riley.anderson @cwoodford Calling attention to @Bchadha’s reply in case you want to reach out to him.

@Kristin @Bchadha if you are still looking for people to test this I would definitely be keen to help out!

@nate.estrada Thanks for your question. I have reached out to @Bchadha to confirm. I suspect there may be a delay in hearing back allude to the holiday this week in the US.

Hello all,
We just launched the ability for authors to set default column width for pivot tables, ensuring the following -

1. Set a uniform column width for all value columns effortlessly.
  2. Bid farewell to the tiresome task of manually adjusting individual column widths. Utilize this feature to establish the column width for all columns at once.
  3. Enjoy the assurance that your column widths will remain consistent even after data refreshes with new columns adhering to this default value.
  4. Set column widths precisely in pixels, offering you greater control over your presentation.
1 Like

1 Like

@evanct @cwoodford @riley.anderson @Irene_Tobajas @nate.estrada Hi all. Wanted to make sure you saw @Bchadha’s post about this feature release. :tada:

@Bchadha Hi, I can not find the settings in QuickSight, where are they located?
Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.06.37

@Bchadha @Kristin thanks for your work on this! Makes life much easier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ekaterina This feature is only available for pivot table, from your screenshot this looks like it is for a table and not a pivot table

1 Like