Replacing value in pivot table with another for null/zero values

Currently I have a pivot table by segment and location based on a dataset of individual orders. Certain locations and/or segments do not have any data and show up as NULL values.

Additionally in the dataset I added individual lines for every location and segment permutation and another column for budget.

I am looking to replace the null values in the pivot table with the values from the budget column.

So I have the following columns in the dataset:

• Cost
  • Budget

I was trying to do a calculation using:

ifelse (sum({cost}, [{Location}, {Segment}]=NULL OR
(sum({cost}, [{Location}, {Segment}]=0,
(sum({budget}, [{Location}, {Segment}],
(sum({cost}, [{Location}, {Segment}]))

Hi @andzz
and you calculation isnt working or what is your question?
Why are you doing it on aggregated and not on row level?
BR

Hi @ErikG

I trailed off there at the end. Yes I’m not sure why my calculation is not working. In the pivot, I still have null values when I have {Location} as Rows and {Segment} as Columns.

So my date structure are individual orders where with the following fields {ID}, {Location}, {Segment}, {Cost}. I then appended individual rows {Budget} for each {Location} {Segment} to the end of the data. So for example it looks like this

|ID | Location | Segment | Cost | Budget |
|1 | xx | bike | 10 |
|2 | yy | car | 20 |
|3| yy | bike | 15 |
|NULL| xx | bike | NULL | 50 |
|NULL| xx | car | NULL |100 |
|NULL| yy | bike | NULL | 34 |
|NULL| yy | car | NULL | 40 |

So the budget is already aggregated in the data. I’m not sure how to do this on a row level. When I put this data into a pivot, I’m looking to replace NULL or zero values with the budget value. Also current there are not orders for all combination of {Location}, {Segment} but I still have a budget and want it to show.

Any thoughts on this? I’ve been trying to search for this, but haven’t found anything

Hi @andzz ,

You can leverage the coalesce function to show budget when cost is null.
However, showing multiple measures under the same pivot column can be confusing to end users.
So, I would recommend adding conditional formatting to the pivot to clearly demarcate the two.

See sample solution here.
CommunityQ27193-Solution

Regards,
Arun Santhosh
Principal QuickSight SA