RLS conflicting behavior

So I’m experimenting with RLS

1. I restrict a dataset with RLS
  2. made another author a viewer(not permitted to see any rows per rls rules) for restricted dataset - They CANNOT see any the rows as expected
  3. Made same author an owner for this dataset - They CAN see all the rows as expected
  4. Same dataset was used to create an analysis/dashboard and shared with the same author above as coowner - They CANNOT see any rows (You can’t access this visual because the data is restricted. Contact the dataset owner to update the row-level security rules. )

Why this difference in behavior for the same author ?

Hello @tlm234, my understanding of this functionality is that once an Author is made an owner of a dataset, they will gain full access to the data being returned at the dataset level. This is basically like you gave them admin permissions to that specific dataset. Now, once that dataset is implemented into an analysis or dashboard, now the permissions given in the RLS for that specific user are applied to return the data that they have access to. If that user has not been added to the RLS dataset, they will not be able to see any data returned in the dashboard, and if they have specific row values that they have access to, they will see those. I’ll link some documentation as well to help provide some more information on this. I hope that helps!

Hello @tlm234, I just wanted to check if you needed any further clarification on this. I’ll mark my previous response as the solution, but if you have any remaining questions, please let me know!

When you say that they can see all the rows, do you mean when they preview the dataset? Seeing all the rows when previewing the dataset isn’t the same as seeing all the rows in an actual analysis or dashboard. The author needs to be included in the RLS rules to see data in the analysis or dashboard.

1 Like