Setting up Enterpise Account with Athena

Hello everyone,

I was building a dashboard with data we have available on Athena through a standard QuickSight account when I decided to upgrade the account to Enterprise in order to produce scheduled emails, as soon as I made this transition I have been unable to pull any Athena data whatsoever. I have even gone as far as cancelling the Enterprise QuickSight then re instated it yet I am still unable to get data to pull.

I have attached below the current IAM Policy Assignments as well as verifying I have set up access to these AWS Services. Here is also a couple snips of the error I am now receiving too, any help in getting this set up is greatly appreciated as again I was able to build these in standard but became an issue when switching to enterprise. Thanks in advance!

[Simba]AthenaJDBC An error has been thrown from the AWS Athena client. HIVE_METASTORE_ERROR: Table is missing storage descriptor

QSError
QSErrorDetails

Please let me know if there is any additional information that I can provide to assist in getting this figured out

Can you go to Athena and run SHOW CREATE TABLE (your table name);

There might be an issue with how it is configured but that’s my guess.

Also you might want to check out these two links.

(Resolve HIVE_METASTORE_ERROR when querying Athena table)

In regards to these two links it might be the second link to look into because of your upgraded account.

Let me know if any of these help.

Also, one last thing, can you run your query in Athena but not in QuickSight?

This is the show create table for the table I am trying to query,

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE srbrs_vest_activations(
site string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
area string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
workcell structworkcellid:string,workcelltype:string,workcelllocation:string,workcelldisplayid:string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
processid string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
eventguid string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
eventtimestamp timestamp COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
eventsequencenumber bigint COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
eventsequencescopeid string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
device structdeviceid:string,devicetype:string,devicedisplayid:string,devicelocation:string,parentdeviceid:string COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
issynthetictelemetry boolean COMMENT ‘from deserializer’,
payload struct<systemkey:structcustomer:string,site:string,area:string,vestid:string,vestname:string,vesttype:string,userid:string,badge1name:string,badge2name:string,badge1fwversion:string,badge2fwversion:string,floortype:string,starttime:timestamp,eventtimestamp:timestamp,endtime:timestamp,processingtime:timestamp> COMMENT ‘from deserializer’)
PARTITIONED BY (
pt_event_date date)
ROW FORMAT SERDE
‘org.apache.hive.hcatalog.data.JsonSerDe’
WITH SERDEPROPERTIES (
‘path’=‘site,area,workcell,processId,eventGuid,eventTimestamp,eventSequenceNumber,eventSequenceScopeId,device,isSyntheticTelemetry,payload’,
‘timestamp.formats’=‘yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSSSSS'Z',yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss'Z'’)
STORED AS INPUTFORMAT
‘org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat’
OUTPUTFORMAT
‘org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat’
‘s3://ar-data-lake-prodna-835942842132/metric-data/ardl_common_prodna/srbrs_vest_activations’
TBLPROPERTIES (
‘classification’=‘json’,
‘compressionType’=‘none’,
‘projection.enabled’=‘true’,
‘projection.pt_event_date.format’=‘yyyy-MM-dd’,
‘projection.pt_event_date.range’=‘NOW-2YEARS,NOW’,
‘projection.pt_event_date.type’=‘date’)

I did have to add myself as Lake formation admin on the standard QS Account in order for queries to run I believe I have done the same by adding libs-admin-access as well as a data lake administrator unless there is something I am missing? Here is a snip of the data lake administrators showing libsAdminAccess was added but I am still not able to get data pulling with Athena on QuickSight

And yes that is correct I am able to query this data on Athena without an issues it is only on QuickSight that I am having problems getting data to pull

Hmm,

I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

1 Like