Showing control blank by default while it has "show only relevant values" activated based on another dataset field

I have a control whose values are dynamically changed by the selection of another control.
The underlying parameter is set to be blank by default and no control values are defined.
However, as long as “show only relevant values” option is active, the control is not displayed blank by default (it is not empty) and it has “All” as value since it is showing the relevant values based on the selection of other control. This is affecting my visualization and the underlying logic. I want to have both options at the same time, in other words, the control should be blank (empty) by default, and when the user clicks on it, it should only show the relevant values based on the selection in another control.

Thank you.

Hi @HatAbd9241. Try this and let me know if it helps.

In order to have a control initially blank (empty) and then showing only relevant values based on the selection of another control, take these steps:

Step 1: Create a Control for the Initial Selection

• Create the first control and set its default value to blank (empty).
  • Ensure that the “Show only relevant values” option is disabled for this control.

Step 2: Create a Filter Based on the Initial Control

• Create a filter that uses the value from the first control to determine the relevant values for the second control.
  • Go to the “Analysis” menu, select “Add Filter”, and choose the relevant dataset and field.
  • Set the filter condition to something like [YourField] = ${controlName}. Replace [YourField] with the appropriate field from your dataset and controlName with the name of the first control.
  • This filter should dynamically update the available values in the second control based on the selection made in the first control.

Step 3: Create the Second Control

• Create the second control and choose the appropriate dataset and field.
  • Enable the “Show only relevant values” option for this control.
  • The control should now display blank initially because the first control has no default value. When the user selects a value in the first control, the second control will update to show only the relevant values based on the selection.

By following these steps, you should be able to have a control that is initially blank (empty) and dynamically updates its available values based on the selection made in another control.

Let me know if that helps!

Hi @rickm,

Thank you for your answer.

However, it doesn’t help solving the issue I raised.

Let me explain in a better way (or at least try :slight_smile: ):

I have two fields which are coming from the same dataset. One is the parent and the other one is the child.

I am setting up a control on the parent field first (populating control values with the dataset field). Then I set up a control on the second field again populating its values from the corresponding field in the dataset. The underlying parameter for the first control has default value of ‘All’ since it is of type string and the underlying parameter for the second control is blank by default. Moreover, on the second control, I opt for “Show only relevant values” and I reference it to the first control.

Now, when I publish this analysis as a dashboard (or open the analysis for the first time), I see that even though the first control has default value of ‘All’, the second control is not showing any values and it is empty by default. After all, it is what individually I programmed it to be. However, my issue is that now that “show only relevant values” for the second control is activated, it would be nice for it to stay blank by default, but when the user clicks on it, it should show all the relevant values based on the selection of first control but “unselected”. It currently shows no values, only the “Search” bar and button.

Thank you.

1 Like

hi @HatAbd9241,

it sounds like the reason of showing no values only the "Search"bar and button is there are more than 1000 distinct values to show. that is by design how QuickSight behaves. are you seeing the same when the values are less than 1000 ?

kind regard,
Wakana

1 Like

Hi @Wakana,

Thank you for your reply.

The field that is populating the control values has less than 100 distinct values, therefore what you are suggesting can not be the cause of the issue.

I think the problem is that even though I am setting the second control to show only relevant values based on the first control, since the default value of the second control is blank (empty), the first time the analysis and dashboard are opened, the second control shows nothing even though the first control has “All” its values selected.

When I click on “Select All” for the first control to deselect everything and click on “Select All” again for the first control to select everything, the second control gets displayed as blank but when the user clicks on it, he/she is able to see all of the relevant values but they are all there but have not been selected. This is the exact behavior I am expecting to get when the analysis and dashboard are opened for the first time.

Thank you.

Hello @HatAbd9241 first of all sorry for the inconveniences you are having with your issue.

I tried to replicate the behavior in my environment and I was not able to do so, this is what I set:

• Parameter 1 (multi-value, string) default ALL
  • Parameter 2 (multi-value, string) default blank
  • Control 1 (associated to parameter 1)
  • Control 2 (associated to parameter 2) with show relevant values configured

I have created a quick recording to show how it was configured and the behavior:

multi_value_param_control

Hope this helps you to replicate the configuration and the behavior, if not I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf.

Hope it helps, I am marking this question as solved.

Happy dashboarding!

Thank you, regards.

1 Like

Hi @EnriqueS,

First of all, thank you for your detailed response.

You have been able to replicate my situation almost completely with only a minor discrepancy and that is your parent control underlying parameter’s default value is not set to “All” and it is “2023” by default. I checked this and if I also set a specific default value for the underlying parameter of my parent control, the issue is resolved and I can see both the child control empty and also when I click on it, I can see all the relevant values (unselected).
However, my parent control is not “Year” for which I would like to select only one value, by default, I want all values of this control to be selected when the dashboard is opened for the first time by the user and therefore I want the child control to be empty but show all the relevant values (unselected) which in this case it would be all its possible values since by default all values of the parent control are selected.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hello @HatAbd9241 thanks for your feedback and response.

So if I understood correctly you were able to make some changes to your configuration and use case (that is slightly different from the one I shared) to make it work as needed?

Thank you, regards

1 Like

Hi @EnriqueS,

No, the issue is not resolved. With my previous reply, I meant the reason your solution works is the minor difference it has compared to what I am trying to do.

You are selecting a specific default value for your first (parent) control and therefore when you open your analysis or dashboard, since this first control already has a selected value, the second (child) control shows blank but with all relevant values unselected.

However, what I wish to have is to have the default value of the first (parent) control set to “All” so when the analysis or dashboard is opened for the first time, all values of the control are selected. This is fine and can easily be done. However, this affects the behavior of the second (child) control which doesn’t show empty by default and shows “All” instead even though nothing is selected in it and when you click on it you just see the search bar and no values to be selected from. In order for the user to see any values in the second control, the user has to interact with the first control (e.g, unselecting and selecting “Select All” or any other value so the value of the underlying parameter for the first control changes).

I am still interested in a solution if you can think of one.

Thanks.