Slow control update on embedded dashboard using relevant values

We have an embedded dashboard and one of the sheets has 15 parameter based Dropdown-multiselect controls where the values are linked a dataset field. Each control is using all the other controls to update relevant values.

When one control is changed, it is taking a long time to update the other 14 controls.

When monitoring the network in Safari and Firebox, I’m noticing multiple calls that return the same information. Making one change to one control results is 28 unique-attributes calls (14 pairs of calls where each pair returns the same list of values for a control) and 14 tenK-sample-values calls that appear to be returning the same 14 lists of values.

Sometimes there are the 14 tenK-sample-values calls with fetchStatus: "FETCH_SUCCESSFUL". Sometimes there are more (21 in a recent test) and a few have fetchStatus: "FETCH_IN_PROGRESS". The in progress ones show the same list of values each time, but run multiple times.

Is this how it is supposed to work? It seems like these extra calls are causing the update to take 2-3 times longer than it should to update the list of values in the controls.

Is there anything we can do to reduce the time it takes to update the control values using relevant values?

Are you using direct query or spice for your datasets? We’ve found usage of SPICE speeds up filter/control updates when they have relevant values configured since I think if datasets are direct query, it fires off queries to db for updating other controls when one control is are changed. SPICE reduces the latency since the data is stored in QS

@bkasen Thank you for asking. I forgot to mention that we are using SPICE for our dataset.

I also forgot to mention that I see the behavior when embedded, viewing the stand-alone dashboard in the QuickSight console, or when changing the control when working on the analysis in QuickSight.

Hello @MikeB and @bkasen !

After looking through this and doing some digging, I’m not sure that there is a way for you to directly optimize this without either changing how many controls you have or changing your dataset.

I will mark this as a feature request for the Quicksight team.