Store Calculated Field as Variable?

I need to create a calculated field that includes data from the most recent week in the current fiscal year. I can’t do:

Ifelse fiscal week = calculated fiscal week

I was curious if I could store the calculate week as a variable or is there syntax available to capture the Max fiscal week for the Max year?

Hi @durl, creating a calculated field to reference the most recent week in the current fiscal year involves a few steps, especially if you can’t directly compare fiscal_week to calculated_fiscal_week.

Here’s a method to approach this:

1. Identify the Maximum Fiscal Year and Week: First, you’ll need to identify the maximum fiscal year and the maximum week within that year. Unfortunately, QuickSight doesn’t directly support storing values in variables like some other BI tools, but you can use calculated fields and level-aware aggregations.
  2. Create a Calculated Field for Maximum Fiscal Year: You can create a calculated field to determine the maximum fiscal year across your dataset:
maxFiscalYear = maxOver({fiscal_year}, [])
  1. Create a Calculated Field for Maximum Fiscal Week in the Maximum Fiscal Year : This is a bit tricky as QuickSight does not support direct filtering within maxOver() . However, you can work around this by creating a calculated field that uses conditional statements:
maxFiscalWeekInMaxFiscalYear = maxOver(ifelse({fiscal_year} = {maxFiscalYear}, {fiscal_week}, null), [])

Here, {fiscal_year} and {fiscal_week} should be replaced with the actual field names in your dataset.

1. Use These Fields in Your Analysis: Now, you can use these fields to filter your visuals or create further calculated fields based on the maximum week of the current fiscal year. For example, to check if a given record falls in the latest week of the current fiscal year, you might do:
isCurrentLatestWeek = ifelse({fiscal_year} = {maxFiscalYear} and {fiscal_week} = {maxFiscalWeekInMaxFiscalYear}, 'Yes', 'No')
  1. Adding the Calculated Fields to Your Analysis: Make sure to add these calculated fields to your analysis and use them in filters or as part of your visuals.

This approach helps you dynamically identify and use the most recent fiscal week and year in your analysis without manually updating these values. Remember that these calculations are dynamic and will update as your data refreshes, assuming your dataset includes a fiscal_year and fiscal_week that are updated accordingly.

We hope this solution worked for you. Let us know if this is resolved. And if it is, please help the community by marking this answer as a “Solution.” (click the check box under the reply)

1 Like