I am trying to show average AOV by customer (ie, getting the average order value for each customer, then taking the median of this), and then plotting this over time, with multiple lines representing each category, your standard line graph.
When I put these AOV values beside date, category and customer ID it calculates the correct values.
However the function I am using to calculate AOV does not produce the correct median value:
When I put this calculation into my graph and select aggregate via medium, for a given date and category it returns the 7th highest AOV out of a list of 9 AOV’s when it should be returning the 5th highest (median). I have checked this for different dates and it’s always returning the AOV of one of the customers… but not the median, it’s always off, either too high or too low.
I need my median to be grouped by date + category rather than customer ID, as I want to produce the median for a given date + category, calculated by looking at the AOV’s for the customer_ids and taking the median.
Another thing I have noticed, if I calculate the mean via the same method, it’s also off, is lower than it should be. The values of the median and mean suggest there are hidden lower values that are not showing but being used in the calculation which is strange.