Time Datatype

Hi. I am trying to graph last order cut off and I cannot find a way to convert my data to a time datatype. I was told that there is no way to convert to a time format and use times in a line chart. Is that true or is there another way to do that?

No @jenmosk you can change the data type in QuickSight on the Datasets level or on the Analysis level.

Just give some example so that we can give some some solutions.

1 Like

Time is just a more granular version of Date, so yes you can do this.

We need more info to troubleshoot. Please tell us the process you have done and where the error is.

Thanks.

1 Like

The data format is shown in the screenshot below. I would like reporting day on the x axis and time on the y axis and do a line chart for avg_loc_us and avg_loc_ca. So far I have not been able to graph this because when I try to turn the datatype to datetime in the data prep phase, it says it can’t be validated (as shown in the second screenshot). I have also tried turning the datatype into time at the query level, but when I upload that it says this type is not accepted.

If you want to convert it do a date, it needs to have a day with it. Example: 01/01/2022 09:27:00

You will need to append the day you want and then it would look like this.

dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss

1 Like

Right I did that, but once it is in quicksight, is there a way to separate it so that there is just the time? I haven’t found a way to do that.

Even if you were able to get the time, I think you would run into problems putting it on the y-axis of your line chart. The only aggregations QuickSight will allow you to do on a date field is count and count distinct.

Sorry, no. You can’t have just the time without the date.