URL Action in Line Chart is not shown

Dear QuickSight Community,

I’m facing an issue with a plot visualization in AWS and need guidance:

I have a time series dataset in Athena with a string field displayed in a tooltip of a Line Chart. The field has more than one value in general, however, the visualization is shown only in case if there is only one value. I’m trying to use this string field as a GET parameter of URL action. However, the action doesn’t appear in the context menu. Though it works fine in table visualization or with fields directly visible on the line chart.

Could you please clarify how can I make the URL action with string field from tooltip visible in the context menu of Line Chart?

I’ve attempted to use Link field value from drilldown dimension instead of tooltip - unfortunately, with the same result.

Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hello @SnailFuji - Welcome to the Quicksight Community and thank you for posting your question.

So, you wanted to use the string field that has multiple values as a parameter in the URL action (Line Chart) but you are unable to see it in the context menu?

If yes, please

• Check Parameter Settings:
    • Ensure that the parameter you created is set up to handle multiple values. In the parameter settings, there should be an option to allow multiple values.

Let me know, if I heard you correct and that helped or need any more suggestions

Thank you,
Shravya

2 Likes

@ shravya

I’m really sorry, but this is not what I was asking about. Let me provide a simplified example:

• I’m using string field of the dataset called test_value_aws_support. This is a calculated field with value ‘Test’ for all records. This value is added to a tooltip of a visualization
  • When I’m trying to parametrize URL action with this string field (like on a screenshot), the new action is not visible in the context menu.
    (I’m using the following expression: https: / / example. com?t=<<test_value_aws_support>>. Obviously without spaces)
  • I’ve tried to add same field as an additonal dimension - with the same result.

My question is: how to use the value of test_value_aws_support to a URL action for line chart? Just to clarify: in my case the value is not fixed like in this toy case, and it should be taken from the corresponding field of the dataset.

Thank you for the fast response and have a nice day.

1 Like

@SnailFuji - Did you paste any screenshots as you mentioned in 2nd point, sorry i am not able to see it!

Okay let me explain what i understood! So, please let me know in which of the steps below you are facing the problem.

Step 1 - I have created a calculated field which is string and displays some value for all the records as shown below.

Step 2 - This value is added to tooltip of visualization → ok i see that in my visual as well (below image) Properties->Detailed tooltip->I see calculated field is added here in the tooltip.

Step 3 - I clicked “add action” and created a URL action and used same expression that you have mentioned above and saved it. (refer below image)

I am able to see the Action created

So below is the line chart, if I click on the points in the below image, then it is redirecting me to that specified link based on the string field that is mentioned in the URL.

I am not sure, why the new action is not visible in the context menu for your line chart - so here are a few suggestions -

1. Try with a simple field for testing: Temporarily try using a regular field (not a calculated field) in your dataset for testing. If the URL action works with a simple field, there might be something specific to the calculated field.

2. Use a Different Visualization: I see that you have mentioned it was working fine with the other visuals. Did you try it with the calculated field? If not try using a different visualization (e.g., a table) to test the URL action with the calculated field. This can help determine if the issue is specific to the line chart or if it’s a more general problem.

I hope at least I came close in understanding the problem

Thank you,
Shravya

2 Likes

@shravya

Oh, I see the misunderstanding :slight_smile:

The value you’ve used in URL is used on the chart as well, not only in tooltip. I was mentioning the case when the value is not added to a chart but to the tooltip only (or added to a chart as a drilldown dimension). Unfortunately, I cannot add value like you showed - I have two time series presented on the chart already, and the field Color cannot be filled in this case

Here is an example of the config I have:

May I ask you to clarify how can I setup menu action in this case?

(Unfortunately, previously I was not able to upload screenshots as a new user. Thank you for enabling this option for me!)

1 Like

Okay @SnailFuji I get that! I have modified my visual to look similar like what you have! (pasted below image for ref)

In that case, create a parameter for your calculated field (as shown below) :slight_smile:

When you get the below screen, click on Custom actions

Edit your URL actions → Now you will be able to see that parameter that we have created for the calculated field ->Add it to your URL

To setup menu action in this case -
In the same way you have added URL action -
Give some custom name to the Action → Edit Action → instead of “select” click on "Menu option " and save

So, when you click on any of the points, you should be able to see these menu options (in this case - “ClicktoRedirect” is the action) and it should redirect to the url that you have specified!

Let me know, if that didn’t help you! :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Shravya

@shravya

Thank you for the efforts,

I’m really sorry if I skipped something from the explanation, but I don’t understand how the value of calculated field will be connected to the value of the parameter in this case.

I was able to see the created URL action in this case, however, currently the url is incorrect - the default value of the parameter is used instead of field value. For instance, in this example action leads me to https://example.com/?t=All

Could you please clarify how to connect calculated field and parameter for such usage?

@SnailFuji - so you need to apply that calculated field as a filter on the visual and choose custom filter in the dropdown → Check in the Use parameter box → and apply this parameter to the filter.

Could you please try this and let me know?
sorry i was unable to provide the pictures but i think the below link should help

Thank you,
Shravya

I don’t understand how it will help. May I ask you to provide a working example?

Definitely but before that let’s take suggestions from other experts too if i am missing out something here. :slight_smile:

Hey @ErikG - Could you please add your thoughts too on this if I am missing something here… Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @SnailFuji
For my understanding. You want to create a URL action based on a string dataset field and a parameter?
The action should be a tooltip/menu action?
BR

hi @SnailFuji

I am afraid there is no way to set the value of the filed which is not being used in the line chart into the parameter you created. so you can’t pass the value using URL action. the only way I can think of is to have another table to show the tooltip values which you would like to use for URL action, by filter action from the line chart. from the table, you trigger the URL action.

kind regards,
Wakana

1 Like