Where is SPICE data stored?

I have a question from a customer using QuickSight:

“Can you please let us know where does QuickSight store SPICE extracts in the AWS. Is there an option to disable SPICE extracts.”

I believe what they’re asking is: Where is SPICE data stored in AWS? Can this storage be disabled on a per-dataset basis?

This may be a silly question as I believe SPICE data is stored in-memory on an EC2 instance when QuickSight is started, but confirmation of this should be enough to satisfy the customer. Any documentation of this fact would be good to have as well.

Hello @djsaundse , welcome to the Quicksight community!

“SPICE is compressed columnar data store” Has information about SPICE It is provisioned based on your AWS Account Region.
"SPICE (Super-fast, Parallel, In-memory Calculation Engine) is the robust in-memory engine that QuickSight uses. It’s engineered to rapidly perform advanced calculations and serve data. In Enterprise edition, data stored in SPICE is encrypted at rest. For more information, see Data encryption in Amazon QuickSight.
SPICE capacity is allocated separately per AWS Region. For each AWS account, SPICE capacity is shared by all the people using QuickSight in a single AWS Region. The other AWS Regions have no SPICE capacity unless you choose to purchase some."I cannot seem to find information about if it is an EC2 instance or not, but it is encrypted if that helps.

Let me know if this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @djsaundse - The underline infra is completely managed by AWS and user do not have any detail information around that. However usually the data should be stored as the security compliance. This is a very good question and we probably ask more details in the coming monthly Q&A session.

The details provided by @duncan is 100% correct.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like