Boto3 API quicksight: user deletion and orphaned resources

When deleting a QuickSight user from AWS web console I am given two options in regards to user-created resources that will be orphaned:

• transfer ownership to a different user
  • delete all orphaned resources.

But when using Python boto3 QuickSight — Boto3 Docs 1.24.83 documentation it merely removes the user, leaving all orphaned resources.

Is there a way to support both of the choices from the AWS boto3 API?

Hi,

Currently there is no direct API to transfer resources from one user to another. You can however use combination of APIs to achieve this. For e.g. dashboards:

1 Like

Hi, @Shivani_Gupta. We hope that Koushik’s solution worked for you. I am marking his reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved.

@Kristin QS behavior should be consistent whether you are using from UI or API calls so can you make a feature request for this since what @agmayan suggested is a very long route to achieve the objective

Hope to see this feature in boto3 API soon

1 Like

Our team would benefit from being able to specify the transfer of orphaned users, as we need to migrate 200+ users to new usernames. The above proposed solution is not ideal as there are multiple components to consider with more opportunities to mess something up, which is not what you want when dealing with deleting users.

I will take this new feature request and include in the roadmap. In the meantime please lookout for new launches in this community or QuickSight’s main website. Amazon QuickSight - Business Intelligence Service - Amazon Web Services

1 Like

I would appreciate if someone could reach out internally with the SIM information for this PFR. I’ve reached out twice, as I would like to track this, but have received no response.

Hello, I would also like to make a suggestion regarding the transfer of resources when deleting a Quicksight user.
But this is within the console itself and not the API.
It would be very interesting if there was the option to create a folder or something so that the old user’s resources would all be organized somewhere for the user who inherited them to explore, instead of being loose and dispersed.
Thank you.