Can I use an image from S3 bucket for Custom visual content?

Hello, I’m new to AWS and QuickSight. I have a question about Custom visual content. I read this page, but I couldn’t get the solution.

What I’d like to:
I’d like to embed the picture from S3 bucket on my dashboard. I confirmed it worked if I use the pictures of a web site. However, I want to prevent images on QuickSight from not being displayed due to broken links in the future. Also, I want to operate my dashboard in private environment.

What I did:
I made a bucket and upload an image file. Then I set the object URL on QuickSight.

What I confirmed:
(1) I got the access denied error.
So, I added the AmazonS3ReadOnlyAccess permission to the role, aws-quicksight-service-role-v0, but I got the same error (Even I added AmazonS3FullAccess to the role, I also got the same error.)

(2)I checked the page and I confirmed that my IAM user had the AdministratorAccess permission.
However, I don’t think I understand about the relationship between IAM user and QuickSight user (Both names are the same and I don’t switch my account when I access to them).

I would appreciate if you could tell me any suggestion.

Hello @vivi welcome to the Quicksight Community! My first thought is you should check the box in the format visual section for “Show as image”. If that doesn’t work I think QuickSight needs to gain access to the S3 resource along with also gaining permissions to the bucket in order to achieve this.

One last thing, if you want to make sure the image url is working appropriately, copy and paste it into your browser and see if the image shows. If it doesn’t that means the permissions are not set up correctly. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hello @DylanM ! Thank you very much for your reply!
I tried to attach some pictures, but it seems that I can upload only one picture, the messages said, new users can only put one embedded media item in a post. So, I combined several figures into one. I’m sorry that it’s hard to read a little, but I hope you could kindly read it.

My first thought is you should check the box in the format visual section for “Show as image”

I did it and I got the error(→[Figure1])…I think it has no effective information, so I put the previous image which showed, Access Denied Get….

I think QuickSight needs to gain access to the S3 resource along with also gaining permissions to the bucket in order to achieve this.

My setting is like this… Do you have any idea for solving my problem? →[Figure2~5]

if you want to make sure the image url is working appropriately, copy and paste it into your browser and see if the image shows

I did it and I could confirmed it worked (That was the picture of a girl)! This picture is available for commercial and private use and published on the Internet, and I’m concerned that the url may become invalid IN THE FUTURE. I don’t want to have another web server for it, maybe it is illegal. If you could have any idea, would you kindly tell me about it?

Once again, I’m glad to get your kind reply. If you could give me any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Hello @vivi, in order to utilize the image from S3 in QuickSight you would need a bucket that is public. QuickSight is not going to be the one accessing the image, it is the end user’s browser. I hope that helps!

1 Like

Hello, @DylanM . Thank you very much for your answer! I understood!

1 Like