Can't import data from Athena to SPICE or use calculated fields on direct queries

Hi,

I’m having an issue with an Athena table. If I try to import the Athena datasource into SPICE as is, without adding any calculated field or doing any changes, I immediately get an email saying the refresh failed. If I look into the QuickSight console I can see the following error:

If I use direct query it works ok, but when I add a calculated field I receive the following error when I try to use the calculated field in an Analyses:

A general SQL error occurred. This error can be caused by query timeouts, resource constraints, unexpected data definition language (DDL) changes before or during a query, and other database errors. Check your database settings and your query, and try again.

On details, I can only see this:

|region:|us-east-1|
timestamp:|1666722206331|
|requestId:|21befe93-4472-4376-a0c4-c7cb3e54a63f|

During the dataset preview when I add the calculated fields they seemed to be calculated fine, the data shown on the preview table looks good but then when I use the calculated field on the Analyses it fails.

I’m not sure if this is the same error or two separate ones.

Hi @mkreder, there’s several reasons you’re getting that error. Can you please review this page to see if any of these resolve the issue? Resolve custom SQL data source exception error in QuickSight

Yes, I already checked that documentation page. All my access is correctly configured as I’m able to work with the dataset from QuickSight but it “breaks” in certain situations I have described. I can preview/edit the dataset from QuickSight.

Is there a varbinary or any data type that’s not supported in QuickSight that’s in the table?

Since we have not received a response from you on this question, we are going to archive the question. If you still need this question answered, please create a new question topic.