Disable value filters

When filtering a specific filter value, is it possible that values ​​in other filters become unclickable if there is no data to display?

Hi @miap

Yes, it is possible for values in other filters to become unclickable if there is no data to display when filtering with a specific filter value. This behavior can occur in interactive data visualization tools like QuickSight.

When you apply a filter to a dataset, it narrows down the data that is available for analysis based on the selected criteria. If a particular filter value you select doesn’t have any corresponding data in the dataset, it may result in other filter values becoming unclickable or disabled.

This behavior is typically implemented to provide a better user experience and prevent users from selecting filter values that have no data associated with them. By disabling those filter values, it helps to avoid confusion and allows users to focus on the filter values that do have data and are relevant to the analysis.

However, it’s important to note that the behavior of filters can be customizable based on the specific data visualization tool and its settings. Some tools may offer options to handle such scenarios differently, such as displaying all filter values even if they have no associated data. It ultimately depends on the features and configuration of the tool you are using.

2 Likes

@Blenner I am using QuickSight and these is not the case in the dashboard :

ClusterName: Wein and ContainerName dont have shared data (for sure) and still I can choose both…
There is somthig in the filter settings i need to adjust?..

Thanks @Blenner sharing these details, it is super useful.

Regards - Sanjeeb

@Sanjeeb2022 Is there a solution?

1 Like

Hi @miap - Thanks, looks like even if you do not have data in the first filter, you are able to select the filter that subsequently. I need to replicate this and update you.

Hi @Biswajit_1993 - Can you please have a look on this symptom. Is this expected?

Regards - Sanjeeb

@miap

if you have controllers with dynamic values, then try enabling “show relevant values only” for each controller, this way you won’t run into a situation where you will have a dropdown with values for which there is no result.

Sadly, This doesn’t work with DateTime filters.

Good Luck

1 Like

Thank you for the answer,
The problem with parameters is that I have to add values ​​manually every time there is a change in the field values, right?

Hello @miap !

I may be misunderstanding the question, but if you create a parameter control you can link it to your field in the dataset, so if your dataset values change, so will your parameter.

I am going to archive this topic since it has been open for an extended period of time. If you would still like assistance with this, or if you have a new QuickSight question, feel free to post a new topic in the community so you will be at the top of the priority list for a response from one of our QuickSight experts. Thank you!