Filtering by state and hospital

Is it possible to set up a filter where I can select a state, and when that state is selected, it displays a list of the hospitals within the state, which I would then be able to select all or some or just one.

Right now, I have 2 filters:

Hospital (state):

And, hospital name:

However, in the hospital name filter, there are over 50 selections.

I would like to be able to select, for example, VIC (in the state(hospital) filter), and when that is selected, another drop down list is displayed, which lists the 28 hospitals in VIC.

Or if it cannot be done within the one control, is there a way to link the Hospital (State) filter and the Hospital_Name filter, so that selecting VIC in the first filter, means that only the VIC hospitals can be selected from the Hospital_Name filter?

Thanks.

1 Like

hi @jotg , Yes we can achieve this by using the concepts in QuickSight like Cascading Filter.
It means When you select one filter value then the other filter value is auto select.

Please go through the below steps.
Here I have two filter one is Segment and another is Customer Name as per your Query Lets if you want to select any State from the State Filter then on The Hospital filter the filter Automatically change on the basilic of State what we put on the State filter.

I am doing the Same when I select any Segment then the respective customer you can see on the Customer Name filter.

Step -1

Here we simply go to the Customer Name filter & click on the format control button and click on the show relevant value only.

Step-2
Once you select show relevant value only then a dialog box come into the screen and asking for selecting the control .
So here you need to simply select the Segment & click on the Update menu.

Then for testing I select one Segment Value so that you see the respective customer on that Segment value.

I select Segment as Startup so in the Customer Name filter it is automatically select the Startup related customer name .

Thanks

4 Likes

@Biswajit_1993 Thank you very much for the clear instructions and screenshots. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @Biswajit_1993 for answering so many questions and helping the community out! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a very good solution and cascading filter is one of important feature.

1 Like

Thanks @Biswajit_1993 , this works perfectly!

@Biswajit_1993 In addition to this, can we do something like once the first filter is selected only then the dependent filter is available/appears?