How to automate sending email to users with 70 days inactivity and delete users after 90 days of inactivity?

Is it possible to set up an automated process that will send email to users who have been inactive for 70days and off board them automatically after 90 days of inactivity?
I found this link but solution provided didnt link up to the problem stated : #AWS - Quicksight(SSO) user management. - DEV Community

Hi @linndaa - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting the question. There is NO out of the box solution exist for your requirement, however you can create a lambda function and using boto3 QuickSight APIs , cloud trails and SNS you can communicate the users ( if they have not used QuickSight for 90 days) via SNS and then for users who do not have any activity for 90 days, you can delete it.

Note - I have not tried this from my end but this is something you can explore using QuickSight APIs

1. Link for all QuickSight API details:

https://boto3.amazonaws.com/v1/documentation/api/latest/reference/services/quicksight.html

1. Find one such similar post - Quicksight login user track

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi @Sanjeeb2022 , thank you for your reply!
I’m thinking of adopting this solution provided in the link below. However, the inactive users status seem to be derived from the active status in the “DescribeUser” Quicksight API. while the active status refers to :
Active → (boolean)

The active status of user. When you create an Amazon QuickSight user that’s not an IAM user or an Active Directory user, that user is inactive until they sign in and provide a password.

[Measure the adoption of your Amazon QuickSight dashboards and view your BI portfolio in a single pane of glass | AWS Business Intelligence Blog]

my qn is does this field provide the information of the user status? when they are inactive for 90 days, will the status reflect inactive?

Hi @linndaa,

The active/inactive status in this blog is based on the CloudTrail logs. The logs tell you when each user views a dashboard, so you can use that information to come up with your own definition of active/inactive. For example, you can say that if a user has not viewed any dashboard in the past month, they are inactive.

If you look at the sample dashboard provided in the blog, you’ll see that there’s a slider that you can use to adjust the length of that inactivity period.

1 Like