How to create an account in a specific region

Hello,
I have two questions:

1. I have an account in Ireland, but I need a new one in Stockholm region. I can not find a way to create a new account in the new region. how can I do that?

2)When I go to manage quicksight in Stockolm region, for many option it tells me to go back to Ireland (like manage groups, your subscription,account setting,security and permission).
Is this because my account is in Ireland or it is a general setting of quicksight?

Thank you

Hi @remba87 - I believe you can create one account per user. Please see the below blog post - Can you create two quicksight accounts tied to 1 AWS account?

Regards - Sanjeeb

2 Likes

Yes it looks like the only solution I have is to delete the current account and create a new one.

Do you know if Ireland and Stockholm regions have different “tools”

Hi @remba87 - If your requirement is to use a different region, possibly you can switch the region only and not to delete the account. When you will delete the account, all your data sets, analysis and dashboards will be removed. However you can migrate the artifacts from one region to another region. If all your services are in stockholms region and you started the account newly, yes you can delete and create a new set up which will be clean. There should not be any tool set different from QuickSight prospective between the regions, it all depends upon where your services are userbase located so that it will help in getting the data quickly and faster.

@Max @Jesse - any advise on this?

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi @Sanjeeb2022, I followed a QS presentation, and I remember that it was possible to save the analysis as json file and then use that file to recreate the same dashboards…I tried to look on that but did not find something immediate that it is faster then start from 0…do you have some indication in this procedure?

Hi @remba87 - Can you see this link - It is the migration from one account to other, but in your case its a change in region .

Hi @Max @Jesse - Is there a quick way a data set , analysis can be copied from one region to another in the same account? Please help.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Yes, I saw that, but this requires that I have already another account (in stockholm region) which I can not have if I do not destroy before the accunt in Ireland…

1 Like

Hi @remba87 - Can you submit a ticket to AWS customer support and explain this problem. I think your requirement is to migrate the asset from one region to another not create a new account. There should be a way to achieve that. To raise a ticket to AWS Customer support, please use the below link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support.

Personally I never tried this :slight_smile: if you are getting any feedback from AWS team, please update in the community so that it will help all of us.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

I think that the change of a region for the account is not possible. it is clearly stated here:

Considerations in setting up a QuickSight Account - Learning Center / Articles - Amazon QuickSight Community

so I think hat my only solution is to delete the current account and create a new one in stockholm

1 Like

Hi @remba87 - If you do not lose anything or fine by deleting the account, you can follow this approach.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Hi @remba87 - you are correct that you can only have 1 QuickSight account per AWS account. When you sign up for QuickSight you choose your default region, which is where your user management occurs as well as where your free SPICE capacity from adding authors.

However within your QS account, you can build assets in any region you want. You can switch the region by clicking on your username and build datasets and dashboards in Stockholm. The only downside of this is you would need to purchase some SPICE capacity in Stockholm region if you plan to use SPICE.

If you wanted to migrate your assets from Ireland to Stockholm, you would follow the steps @Sanjeeb2022 linked to use the API/CLI to migrate those.

If you wanted to change your default region to Stockholm, then you would need to unsubscribe your account and re-subscribe in the new region. In this case you would lose your current content unless you migrate it to a second, temporary account in the meantime. However…

If this is not urgent I might advise you to wait 1-2 months for a new API call that will make the migration of assets easier (rather than migrating each dashboard/analysis/dataset/data source separately, you will have 1 API call to migrate everything related to a given dashboard in a single bundle). You would also be able to save these bundles offline and deploy them at a future date which would allow you to keep your work if you decide to unsub/resubscribe the account. This feature is currently in preview - if you want to start using it now please DM me and we can get it enabled for you.

3 Likes

Hi @Jesse - Can i opted for preview and thanks so much detail explanation.

Regards - Sanjeeb

2 Likes

sure, replied in a DM

2 Likes

Thanks for arranging this with @Sanjeeb2022 (and @remba87 if they are interested), @Jesse! :slight_smile: Happy weekend all!

1 Like

Thank you @Jesse . Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like