How to filter across multiple fields

Just getting started with QuickSight. Following is an example of a dataset I have in Excel that I want to move to QuickSight. The GOV, CFM and AMO columns indicate if the partner supports that capability. So partners A & B each support one but different capabilities while partners C & D support multiple capabilities.

How/can I create a filter in QS to allow the user to filter on one or more of the capabilities such that if they pick “GOV”, partner A & C will be returned, but if they pick GOV and AMO, only partner C would be returned.

Ideally, I would like to have one filter with GOV, CFM and AMO as individually selectable checkboxs.

I can’t even get basic filtering to work. When I add the GOV field to the table visualization, I see ‘null’ in the empty fields but if I add a filter to the GOV field, I get a “Not Found” / “Refresh the List” error

Sample

Hi @skellish
If I understood you right.
You can create three filter depending on each other.
Create a filter control for each filter an set “change relevant values” for each.

Maybe you can share sample data or better a Arena dashboard.

BR

Hi @skellish
any updates on your side?
BR

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I updated a dataset and created an analysis in arena: sk26980

I wanted to avoid having a separate control for each of the give “solution area” columns, but rather have a single dropdown list with checkboxs. My final dataset will have a lot more columns so was trying to reduce the number of filters

The five filters work as expected as a logical AND, but I didn’t understand how to apply the use relative value feature. I created a separate “SA” parameter control and set the relative value to the five other controls but I don’t see the control having any filtering impact on the table, so likely I don’t know how to setup properly

Hi @skellish
your Arena link isnt working.
BR

updated the link sk26980

Hi @skellish
would should happen in case SA=Y?
BR

The SA control is not setup properly. It should have GOV, CFM, AMO, CCA and COM as choices. If the user were to select just GOV, then the table should only show rows where the GOV column contains “Y”. But if the select “GOV” and “AMO” in the SA control, then the table should only show rows where both GOV and AMO = “Y”

Hi @skellish
i tried to build something. for now just for GOV and AMO, that you can check if its going in the right direction and rebuild it.
sk26980.EG
BR

Having trouble accessing your analysis. I see the table but only three dots in the lower left corner and eventually it times out

Can you open the control area and use the SA control?

Hello @skellish and @ErikG !

@skellish are you still facing this issue or were you able to find a solution/workaround? If you were able to find a solution could you share it with the community?

It has been some time since we have heard from you but we would still like to help find a solution. If we do not hear from you in the next two business days this topic will be archived.

1 Like