Quicksight connection to SQL Server error

I am trying to connect to a sql server for which I have been given permissions to access, but I am not able to connect to it via quicksight.

Hi @datshiva - Can you share what the error is? Screenshot or plain text would do.

1 Like

Hi @datshiva - Welcome to AWS QuickSight Community and thanks for posting the question. Can you please share the error message, and also please validate your connection and credentials via a sql client as well.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

It says the hostname is invalid. Can you guide me on how to validate my connection and credentials via a sql client ?

Hi @datshiva - I believe the SQL server is present in your AWS account, do you have an endpoint ? Can you put the end point details and also sometime unchecked SSL option and test the connectivity?

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

If QuickSight is complaining about the hostname then you may be using the wrong value. If you have a database admin managing the SQL instance please reach out to them to confirm the hostname details.

If this is still an issue networking is the next area you must focus on. Specifically, if a VPC endpoint has been created to allow QuickSight to access the DB subnet (I suspect the DB resides in a private subnet).

Finally, I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

@datshiva - Iā€™m marking response from Evangelos (eperts) as solution to this query. Please do let us know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Arun Santhosh

2 Likes