Quicksight freeze columns

Hi Team,

Can we freeze the first few columns on Quicksight Pivot Tables? My Pivot table visualization has about 15 dimension columns. I have a row number field which is the first value field but appears much later in the visualization making it difficult to rank my entities.

Thanks
Tanisha

Hi Tanisha,

Like to understand like more on your requirement:

(1) What happens to index values when you expand nodes in the tree view? Are they expected to change dynamically?

(2) Did you considered using table instead of pivot table meet your requirement? You can achieve ordering in table visual. (as I am not seeing any dimension in column of field-wells for this pivot table).

Regards,
Anwar Ali

1 Like

Hi Anwar,

To answer your questions -
1 - The viz is at its most expanded state and is not intended to be interactive. SO the index values remain constant.

2 - There are a couple more value fields to the right that is not captured in this screenshot. Using a table instead of a pivot table here does not give the same results. Tried this already in an attempt to use the ‘move’ option.

Thanks,
Tanisha

Hi Tanisha,

I don’t find a way to get index on the left of pivot table.Can you please elaborate why table is not giving you desired result If nodes always remains in expanded way.

If rowcount of pivot table is small to fit in a screen (no scroll bar) you can overlay 2 identical aligned visuals and it appear as one. But it breaks if rows are more and you need scrolling.

1 Like

Hi Anwar,

You’re right - I could just use a table instead of a pivot table for this. We have ~19k rows so the second option wouldn’t be feasible.

Thank YOU!

HI Tanisha, In case you switched to a table, you could use the new freeze column functionality which is now GA - Enhanced table navigation: Freeze/unfreeze Table Columns in Amazon QuickSight | AWS Business Intelligence Blog

1 Like