Set Discoverable in QuickSight programatically

Is it possible to share a dashboard via CLI with “Discoverable in QuickSight” disabled?

Use case: We provide a default set of dashboards that we share with our clients by adding them to the group. Then we make the dashboards accessible on our website using the embedding dashboard feature. This works just fine. But we want to add them the ability to create their own dashboards via the embedding authoring feature. But we do not want them to see the default set of dashboards there. So it is possible to disable “Discoverable in QuickSight” in the default dashboards programmatically? I refer to this feature in the QS console UI:

It doesn’t seem like there is the ability to do that via the cli now.

However, after looking at the api calls it looks like it makes the same api call with a slightly different payload.

Here is the api call to share with everyone in the account.

And here is the one to make it discoverable in quicksight.

The first one grants like permissions.

The second grants permissions.

Maybe something to work with.

Thank you. I’ve tried it, but unfortunately, the LinkSharing is working just with namespaces. Even if it is written in the documentation, it should also work with users and groups.

I got:

An error occurred (InvalidParameterValueException) when calling the UpdateDashboardPermissions operation: Principal arn:aws:quicksight:us-east-1:133301937439:group/abc is not allowed in Link Permissions.

An error occurred (InvalidParameterValueException) when calling the UpdateDashboardPermissions operation: Principal arn:aws:quicksight:us-east-1:133301937439:user/xyz is not allowed in Link Permissions.

or does the group or user need to be somehow configured?

@Max Any thoughts? I’ll appreciate it if you could shed light on my issue with using other Principal than namespace.

have you tried using the default namespace?

It is working with the namespace. I didn’t try the default namespace, but my custom one works fine. Unfortunately, we need to work with groups, not in the scope of the whole namespace.

Another thing seems to make “Discoverable in QuickSight” function unsuitable. We are associating dashboards with groups based on dashboard categories, and then we add users to groups based on our business logic. Then we use the search-dashboards function to get the list of available dashboards. We present this list to a user, and they can choose which one they want to see in the embedding mode. But flagging a dashboard with not “Discoverable in QuickSight” also disappears in the search-dashboards function result.

I would look to open up a support case.

Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account.