Unable to add Client side Decrypt KMS policy to Quicksight IAM role

Hi, we have an in-house QuickSight account (adsbi) for Ads wide reporting and Analytics needs. We onboard customers on this account through cross-account Glue catalog access.
For one of our use-cases, one of our customers requested us to add a KMS policy to the QuickSight IAM role to access customer side decrypt keys (CMK). We followed the SOP (Allowing users in other accounts to use a KMS key - AWS Key Management Service), but faced an error.
If we create a policy to give access to the CMK to our QuickSight IAM role, we get an error - “QuickSight has detected unknown policies attached to the following role”, and then we need to delete and reset the QuickSight role. This causes customer frustration, and a very negative experience. Is there a solution here?

Hi @ABHISEK_MONDAL

Thank you for explaining the situation. I can understand the frustration caused when attaching additional policies to the QuickSight IAM role results in errors.

There might be a workaround to allow accessing cross-account KMS keys from QuickSight without modifying the QuickSight role directly:

1. Create a new IAM role in your account that has the permissions to access the cross-account KMS key. Attach the customer’s key policy to this role.

2. Create an IAM user in your account and assign the newly created IAM role to this user.

3. Use this IAM user’s access key and secret to authenticate to QuickSight as a data source. When connecting to data sources like Amazon Redshift, you can specify IAM credentials to use for authentication.

4. The queries made by QuickSight using this data source will now use the IAM role with access to the cross-account KMS key.

This allows QuickSight to access the required key without modifying the QuickSight managed role directly. The key thing is to authenticate to data sources using an IAM user with the appropriate role rather than using the QuickSight role.

Let me know if this helps resolve the issue!
If yes, please go ahead and mark this as a solution.

Thank you!
GL

1 Like

Hi @gillepa , Thanks for the alternative approach. Do we have any SOP / Blog on the Step No. 3?

Thanks @gillepa. I’m curious - why is there only a workaround for this? Why does Quicksight cause problems when we make changes to IAM rather than in Quicksight console? This is unnecessary work for admins given we need to create and maintain a unique IAM user for each of our 100+ customer teams. Can Quicksight fix this issue so we don’t need to use a workaround solution?

+1, we’re using Athena connection not Redshift… so there’s not an option to provide IAM user’s access key/secret

another helpful resource is:

@kelly466

have you looked at this documentation?

GL

1 Like

Thanks @gillepa . I have gone through this article - and it calls for modifying (or updating the QuickSight IAM role) outside of QuickSight console. I am not very inclined to take this risk - as QuickSight strictly prohibits us to modify the IAM role outside of the console. We have tried attaching policies to the role 3 times, and have led to the IAM role being reset