Asking Q Questions Regarding Calc Fields Formatted as Percents

For a few of my team’s Q topics, we created calculated fields for open rates, conversion rates, and attendance rates. When asking simple questions like “What campaign has the highest open rate?”, we get a decent chart of campaigns with their open rates that we formatted as percentages.

We hit a bump when asking “What campaigns have an open rate greater than 50%?”. The calculated field we created returns a decimal but we have selected that field to be formatted as a percentage, so why can’t Q understand our question when giving a percentage format rather than the decimal format? The question will return a correct answer if we replace 50% with .5, but we don’t expect our partners using this feature to know to put the question in a decimal format.

I don’t know if Q can handle these yet.

I would suggest opening up a support case so that AWS can go through it with you.

Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

1 Like

@meganbutts Max is right, Q currently doesn’t make the assumption that when end users specify a % value, Q should divide that by 100 to match the physical data values. However, this is on our roadmap and coming soon. In the meantime, you can create a calculated field to multiply to values by 100, and these types of questions should then work. Note that you should not set the format on the calculated field to percent, because QuickSight adds two decimal places to the presentation of the data when you do this. Lastly, you can name the calculated field with the same name that your end users are expecting if you first give the field in the dataset a new friendly name. Hope this helps.

2 Likes