Calculated Field Minimize Button is Not Available

Hi Team,
Its really needed the minimize button for a calculated field because some times we checked the data level for the calculation, so every time in between the calculation we can not close the whole window and back again to prepare the calculation. It is better to add the minimize button for the calculated field.

Thanks & Regards
Biswajit Dash

Does the field list in the right pane help?

You can come up with a folder structure that reflects how your data is structured.

1 Like

Hi @David_Wong , You are right but the main issues is, the calculated field has not the ability of drafting the calculation. After completing the calculation only it will give you the permission to save the calculated field. Some times we required to check the field level data for calculation at that time we go through the analysis area and check the field level data so that time we need the minimize options.

Because every time you don’t need to close the calculation for some small changes in your calculated field.

Thanks & Regards
Biswajit Dash

Hi @Biswajit_1993 - Can you please give an example about the problem with screenshot so that it will help to see whether it can be added a feature request to improve the customer experience.

Regards - San

1 Like

@Biswajit_1993

Let me know if I am missing anything: When creating the calculated field, the window should not take up the whole screen so that the new calculated field can be applied, the results visualized in the analysis, and edits can still be made to the calculation if the results are as expected.

At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a better service. I have noted this in our internal feature request tracker.

#feature-request

2 Likes

The editor wasn’t always fullscreen. It used to be a small modal dialog and it was changed a few years ago.

The fullscreen editor helps when working with long calculations, especially when we want to add line breaks to make the calculations more readable. I don’t think we’re saying it shouldn’t be fullscreen but there are some use cases where it would be nice to be able to minimize it.

For example, sometimes when working with level-aware calculations, I have to take a screenshot of my visual (usually a table), put the screenshot on my second monitor so that I can see all my dimensions while I create my calculated field on my main monitor to make sure that I’m putting the correct partitions in my LAC.

1 Like

Thanks @gillepa , you understand the problem that’s what I am trying to explain.
Please revert back if any update happen in this feature.

Thanks & Regards
Biswajit Dash

Dear Team,

I just need to briefly explain why it is now the most requested feature in QuickSight.

Suppose I already have all the Sub Category fields. I want to construct a calculated field and group each Sub Category into its corresponding Category field.

PFB the list of Sub Category field data.

I want to group the items in the below ways.

Therefore, it is quite difficult to generate a calculated field for all of the data present in the Sub Category field without the minimize button since you cannot recall all of the field data to make the Category calculated field and you cannot open and close the calculated field repeatedly.

While performing your calculation in the analysis area, you are unable to verify whether the calculated field data is accurate or not. Only you may check your calculation once it is finished.

This is just a simple example, but there are many situations in which the minimize button in the calculated field is necessary.

@David_Wong, Yes, you are right that Calculated Field that have long calculation require a complete screen, but what if your calculations just need one line or a maximum of five to ten lines?

Then, for greater flexibility, I believe the end user must have access to both the minimize and maximized buttons.

Thanks & Regards
Biswajit Dash