Data Import

I have imported an initial data source. I am now trying to add another data source by clicking add data. Once I have added this additional source, I would like to be able to change the data type of some of the fields. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely possible, this link should help:

1 Like

Hi there,

That link works for the initial data source, but when I go to add another data source to the dataset, I am unable to change the data types within this second data source. Any help with that?

Thanks!

Yes, after adding another dataset, click the dropdown arrow and choose Show Table Preview.

The headers are greyed out and appear a :no_entry_sign: symbol when hovering over data types.

Are you uploading it from CSV, if not then can you go to that dataset and change it there. If that is not an option, then you can either duplicate the dataset and change the value. Or upload the CSV as it’s own dataset, edit, then add/join to the other original dataset.

I’m uploading from a PostgreSQL DB. What do you mean when you say, duplicate the data set? Start the process from anew?

Is the problem that the data types do not line up for the value you are joining on? Can you change the left sides data type to match up? String to String or Int to Int.

1 Like

You can create separate datasets from your db, then join them together one at a time after editing their types in QS, instead of adding more tables or views from your db all at once.

1 Like

So I could theoretically create a new dataset, with just the secondary data source from before, and then join this new dataset to the other dataset? How does one join entire datasets in quicksight?

I would create one dataset from db, edit the types accordingly, and save. Then create the other dataset from db, edit the types, then join them together.

Or you do some casting in Custom SQL.

Is your question how to join datasets or how to add additional datasets to help build an analysis/dashboard with more than one dataset?

Great, thank you very much!

1 Like

I believe we’ve got it. Basically just adding various tables from a PostgreSQL DB to then perform an analysis / create a dashboard.

1 Like

Awesome. My apologies about any confusion along the way. Best of luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the solution… It is great to say we all work together and shared the solution as a community.

Regards - San