Dataset available only in SPICE query mode

My dataset A is a join of 3 datasets, each having the direct query mode. Although initially some of these datasets and the dataset A had SPICE query mode, I want to make them all follow the direct query mode. However, in the dataset A I have no query mode switch:
Is it possible to switch the dataset A to the direct query mode?

Hi @quser

Same-source datasets support direct query, assuming there are no other restrictions on using direct query. Cross-source datasets must use SPICE.

A dataset is considered same-source when it doesn’t have any joins, or when all of the following conditions are met:

• If any of the logical tables refer to a QuickSight data source:

• All of the logical tables in this dataset must refer to the same QuickSight data source. This doesn’t apply if two separate QuickSight data sources refer to the same underlying database. It must be the exact same QuickSight data source. For more information about using a single data source, see Creating a dataset using an existing data source.
  • If any of the logical tables refer to a QuickSight dataset that is a parent dataset:

• The parent dataset must use direct query.
    • The parent dataset must refer to the same QuickSight data source.

If the above conditions aren’t met, the dataset is considered a cross-source join.

Do all of the data sets use the same data source? Has the other data sets been switched to direct query mode?

Thanks,
Raj

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Two datasets in the join use an Athena data source, and the third one uses Timestream. This seems to imply that “the data sources are different, therefore the joined dataset must use SPICE”. If this is the case, there is nothing to be done, the only option being SPICE.

Yes, that is correct. Combining a datasource of Athena with one from TimeStream will result in SPICE only dataset at this time in Quicksight.

1 Like