Delay Sending Query On Parameter Update

Is there any way to delay Quicksight from sending a query to the database after a parameter is updated?

I have an analysis built with multiple filters/controls that change the visuals on the sheet to fit the users’ interests. Typically, multiple of these filters and parameters will be changed to achieve the desired visual.

Every time a single parameter is updated, a new query is sent to the database for each visual. Is there a setting somewhere that will delay a query from being sent for several seconds when a parameter is updated?

Currently, if one user changes 3 parameters, and there are 5 visuals on the sheet, the database receives 15+ queries which delays the visuals from loading because the last 5 in the queue are what are truly desired.

I don’t believe there’s any delay but it would be nice if the QuickSight team could add an Apply button for use cases like this one.

Is your dataset using direct query instead of SPICE? If the number of queries is a concern, you may want to consider using SPICE instead.

2 Likes

I agree, if it isn’t already a feature it would be very useful when using direct query. This type of delay would prevent 1000s of unnecessary queries being sent once this project is complete.

Currently the dataset is using direct query. May have to go with Spice, but that will raise costs and likely lower the amount of users interested in the service. The queries process on the backend in time if sent once or twice, but if multiple parameters are changed quickly it takes just over 2 minutes to process the request resulting in Quicksight timeout errors.

At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a better service. I have noted this in our internal feature request tracker. If you can send me the account/company name and AWS account to gillepa@amazon.com, I will add them to the product feature request so that you have first access to the beta preview.