Error: There was no data found for that visual even though there is data in the dataset

Hi Guys,

I have a quicksight dashboard that gets refreshed every month. The dashboard data is refreshed by appending new data to the dataset and republishing the dashboard with the latest data. But this time as soon as I went to the Analysis section, all the visuals were blank and had a message “There was no data found for that visual even though there is data in the dataset.”. When I click on edit dataset I can preview the data and it seems complete. However, when I click on ‘Publish and Visualize’ I get the same error message.

I have ensured that all the rows are ingested during the dataset refresh and imported to the analysis. I have also checked for any active filters or control values that may be causing this but cannot figure out the problem.

Appreciate your help and suggestion in this matter.

Regards,
Sijin

Hi Sijin,

unrelated to the answer but I am wondering how did you append new data to the dataset? we have similar use cases where new data from redshift needs to be added to a QS Dataset. Right now we are doing it outside quicksight. Interested to know if you do the append within quicksight.

Thanks, JJ

The only thing that comes to mind is that when a dataset is updated, and you go directly to the analysis, there is some time during which the data set query needs to finish executing and ingestion to start… during this time, the analysis will not have any data and will display “No Data”.

However, in the analysis, there should however be rotating icon next to the dataset name to indicate that loading is in progress - and clicking on it should show the progress. Maybe you can confirm that this shows that the refresh is finished.

I would also suggest checking the dataset refresh history and check for any error messages there or any ingestions that are taking too long or ingesting 0 rows…

Hi JJ,

We use redshift to append the new data and refresh the dataset. Once the data is available in redshift, you can go to your dataset and click on ‘refresh dataset’. This process will bring all the new data to the QS analysis and from there you can simply ‘publish and visualize’ the dashboard.

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Sijin

1 Like

Hi Darcoli,

When I update the dataset I ensure that all the available rows in the redshift table are brought in the QS analysis. In the analysis section I even look for the import message which says “imported 100% rows and 0 rows skipped”. I checked the dataset refresh history, there are no errors.

I figured out the problem. The data was not visible because of a filter that limits the data to the current year only i.e. 2022. Since the start of 2022 there has been no addition in the new data hence it wasn’t able to visualize anything for 2022. I know it sounds very silly and I should have looked carefully. But thanks guys for your inputs.

Have a great year ahead!

1 Like