How to create whole analysis filters (one filter for all tabs)

Hi, i want to create a filter in the main tab of an analysis that will filter all relevant visuals in other tabs as well.
trying to use Parameters and cant figure it out, any suggestions or use cases could be helpful.

Hi Gal,

In order to have filters applied across multiple sheets you are correct in that you will need to leverage parameters. Hopefully the steps below will help explain the process:

1. On the main sheet of your analysis, you first want to first create a parameter, or multiple parameters if you want to filter across multiple fields. If you are unsure how to create a parameter, the steps involved to do so are outlined here

2. On the pop up that appears after you have created your parameter(s), click on create a control and provide a name for the control, type of control as well as the field within your dataset that you want to link to and click add.

3. Link this control to the visual(s) on your sheet that you want to filter by selecting a visual and click filter in the menu. Within the filter menu you need to: change the scope to suit your use case; change the filter type to custom filter; click the checkbox for parameter; select the parameter you created in the first step; and click apply. Repeat this step for any additional parameters you have created.

4. On your additional sheets, repeat the process outlined in the previous step to use this parameter as a filter for your visuals.

With this approach you can have your controls on a main sheet and have filters apply across other sheets within your dashboard.

1 Like

HI @olivia , 1st tnx for this tutorial.

I would like to know if for date time range selections is possible to display it like Start End date in the same field like for just one sheet filters? The only option that I found here was to have one filed for a start date and another for the end date. Or am missing something?

Thank you!

Hi,

When you are working with a date control, you can use the same field for both your start and end configurations. More information on working with date controls is available here.

2 Likes

Hi @olivia!
The link above allows to create a controls for filters with a date range, which cannot be applied across all visuals on different sheets. So I think @matjazz question is still valid.