How to set dynamic default values for a parameter

Hi, I want to create a control which should have default values linked with the dataset.
For example, in the following control the default value should be XXXXX when i share this dashboard with XXXXX, similarly with the others
Screenshot_20230111_162404
i tried setting the dynamic default value while creating the parameter, but i am only able to select the column name but not the required value.

I don’t know how to achieve this, is there anything else i need to add in the dataset. As of now the test dataset only have 4 columns(customer_id, desc, item_id,price)

Thank you in advance

Hi,

can you add a new column “UserName” to your dataset and use this for User name column? I think the user name column and the column for default value cannot be the same.

1 Like

can you please describe on how to populate the data in the “UserName” column. I am really sorry if this is a dumb question

Hi,

the username is the name the user has in QuickSight.

For example: my username would be thomask@quicksight.com and the default value should be thomask then the entry in the table would look like this:

thomask@quicksight.com| thomask |…

Its a mapping of username to default value

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, i will try and update the progress here

1 Like

Thank you very much. The solution you suggested is working

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know @arun that @thomask’s solution helped you! And thanks, Thomas, for your contribution to the QuickSight Community!

Hey @thomask if the “user_name”/“group_name” column in the mapping table is left null, will it apply to all users and groups? I am trying to find a way of mapping a dynamic default parameter to ALL users without having to have an updated user/group list.

Hi,

if the default value should be the same for every user, then couldnt you use a static default value?

1 Like

Unfortunately we have hundreds of groups, but I believe I found a workaround to dynamically update it. Thank you for your help!