Pie chart visualization

Hi!

Is there a way in Pie charts to retrieve a defined number of data points (pie slices) and the rest of the data to place under ‘Other’ slice. This methos is similar to horizontal bar chart. I see I can define number of data points within the pie chart, but it just hides all data which is not under the defined number and not placing it under ‘Other’ category.

Thanks!

Hi @amico,

I’ve built example pie charts below, the one on the left has 5 slices configured for display, and the one on the right has 6.
On the left pie chart, the data for Germany (0.09M) is included in the Other category. e.g. 1.1M-0.09M = 1.01M, as shown on the right hand pie chart for Other.

I’m not sure I fully understand your requirement, would you be able to share an example that demonstrates the behaviour you’re witnessing compared to the required behaviour?

Many Thanks,
Andrew

1 Like

Hi

attached an example to what I’m getting:
when I don’t define anything in Number of slices displayed then I get all 4 values as described in the screenshot.

When I define 3 in Number of slices displayed, I don’t see Other category, but only the top 3 with its metric and ratios

It seems it doesn’t provide the Other option.
Is there a specific defenition within the analysis has to be made to solve it.
Don’t think it impacts, but I use calculated field within the group/color field in the field well.

Thanks!
Ami

1 Like

Hi @amico ,

Thanks for showing your examples, I’ve tried to recreate the same result, but was unable.

I’ve created a simple calculated field to use in the Group/Color field well.
For the left pie chart I’ve set the Number of slices to display to 3.
For the right pie chart, I’ve not set the Number of slices, i.e. defaults to 20
(I’ve filtered data to display just 4 distinct values for the calcSubRegion field as it has more than 4 distinct values)
Are you using a filter on your visuals?
I’ve haven’t changed any of the other visual settings from their defaults.

Are you able to share the formula for the calculated field being used in the Group/Color field well?
My calculated field is simple a left() function on a string field.

Many Thanks,
Andrew

Hi @abacon

This how it looks with 4 Number of slices displayed

This how it looks with 3 Number of slices displayed

I marked in red the area where I expected to see the Other category, but it is not shown.

the calculated field is based on nested ifElse statements where the condition is based on parameter value ifelse($param = ‘A’, ‘Country’, ifelse($param = ‘B’, 'City,…)))…

• No top or bottom filter is implemented on this visual.

Thanks,
Amihai

1 Like

Hi @amico,

I’ve reproduced your situation, see my example below.
Would you be able to check whether you’ve hidden the ‘other’ categories in the visual?
Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner of the pie chart visual and if you see ‘Show “other” categories’, can you select that option and confirm if the “Other” category reappears?

Regards,
Andrew

I just removed and recreated then and it’s fine now. Thanks!

1 Like

@amico That’s great to hear, thanks for posting your question on the QuickSight Community Q&A Forum, you can further help the community by marking the answer as a “Solution”.

Kind regards, Andrew

Hi @abacon

Just to make sure-
has the Show ‘other’ categories released recently or it always been there :laughing:?

Amihai

1 Like

Hi @amico,

I believe the option to hide/show “other” categories will have been available for some time. It features on other visuals too.

Glad it answered your question.

Thanks, Andrew