Unable to see any users when trying to share assets

I’m using the Quicksight “Manage Assets” function to try and share a bunch of data sources with a colleague. I have located them and selected them all, then clicked the “Share” button. When the window opens to let me choose the namespace, permission level and user or group, the “User or Group” search box does not return any results. This despite the fact that if I choose to “Manage Users” in the admin console I can view users, and the account I’m using is set as an admin.

Why can I not search for or view users when sharing assets?

Hi @Julian_S ,

When it comes to sharing assets in QuickSight, you usually have the enter the entire username of the specific user that you would like to share the asset with. Even if it says “no results” currently, you should still have the capability to type in the specific user if you are already an Admin in this account and provide permission to view such assets.
I have also attached an example below as well. Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

1 Like

Hi Sabbah

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately this is not the answer - and I probably should have explained earlier that I tried entering names into the search box, without success. See screenshot below. I have tried changing namespaces (just in case for some weird reason that had an impact), I have tried typing in part of a name and also a full name exactly as shown on the “Manage Users” screen, but nothing

Quicksight Manage Users 2 - typing my own name

I am wondering if there are some other options somewhere that are not set for my account, even though it shows that I have the admin role. I’m not familiar with the whole AWS security model, so could there be something outside of the Quicksight permissions that is having an effect? We are mainly using SSO for logins but I wouldn’t have thought that would make a difference?

The user search reads the username which looks to be stored as “jsilver” so you’ll need to search for “jsilver” instead of “julian”.

Hi Mitch

Good spot - I’ve tried searching for jsilver, and also using the full account name, which begins with “GRP_SSO” but nothing I type returns any results at all. It seems as though I don’t have the correct level of permissions to be able to view and select user accounts.

I’ve also noticed (not sure if this has any relevance or not) but I also don’t have the ability to transfer assets - I don’t see a button for it, only a “Share” button. Could this potentially point to a restriction on my account that is also impacting on my main problem?

Hello Julian,

Are you the super admin of the QuickSight account or and admin role assigned to your id with some restriction ?

Please do check with the Admin and see if he/she gets the same behaviour. May be the main admin has created a custom permission with such restriction and assigned to group of sub admin. just an angle to check and rule out the possibilities.

If you are the super admin and still have the issues then I would recommend to reach out to AWS support.
Here are the steps for opening a support ticket - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support . If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Deep

1 Like

Hi Deep

I’m not familiar with the AWS security model - I had assumed that “admin” meant just that, but I take your point. It could be an account with some raised privileges but not full administrative rights. I’m definitely not a super-admin!

I will check with the IT guys and see what they can tell me about my level of access. Thanks for the pointer

1 Like

Hi @Julian_S,
It’s been awhile since last communication took place on this thread; did you have any additional questions regarding your initial topic?

If we do not hear back within the next 3 business days, I’ll go ahead and close out this topic.

Thank you!

Hi Brett

I have not been able to progress this issue with my site admin at this time, so please go ahead and close this question, but it remains unanswered.

Many thanks