Custom value to replace "All"

I have a multi-value parameter and corresponding multiselect dropdown that i would like to set a custom value for to replace the “All/Select all” text that appears in the control.

This seems liek a simple problem/solution but I dont see a clear way to accomplish this. is this possible?

Hi @jtroxel - I think this value can not be changed. By saying this let’s hear from other experts. Tagging @David_Wong @duncan @DylanM @ErikG @Biswajit_1993 for their advise.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Thanks @Sanjeeb2022 i should explain that the reason i want to do this is because i am using the same parameter in a Table header bound to the filter. In this specific context, all possible values read naturally within the header text except for the word “All”

Hi @jtroxel
that’s a common issue, for other tools as well. Maybe you can change the header a bit?
BR

Hi @jtroxel,

I don’t think you can do this. I also have the same issue, not necessarily in the control but when I use the parameter in a title. For example, if a specific user is selected in the control, I want to show the user’s name as title but if “All” is selected, I want to show “All Users” instead of just “All” as the title.

@ErikG Can you please tag this as a feature request?

1 Like

Hello @jtroxel, while there is not a feature available for this, there is a work-around you can use. It would only work for the initial default option on load, but you can make the default value for your parameter the text you would want to see and remove the option for select all from the control.

Then, you can write a calculated field to check if that value is present, then return all values, otherwise check if it is contained in your parameter value. It would look something like this:

ifelse(
in('View all Options', ${Parameter}), {value},
in({field}, ${Parameter}), {value},
NULL
)

It wouldn’t be a perfect fix, but it would at least allow you to display the default option differently. Then, if a user wanted to return to all values, they would need to reset the control. I also tagged this topic as a feature request. Let me know if you have any further questions, otherwise I will archive it for our support team. Thank you!

1 Like

thanks @DylanM I am aware of the default values you can set for these but its not quite the same use case since this needs to appear in the visual when all values are selected. Simply rephrasing the headers would be a more appealing option if i didnt have to answer to clients and other stakeholders who have strong opinions about how things are labeled and are unlikely to be persuaded by excuses from the developer that place the blame on the tool :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses and the feature request. I can at least document my efforts to find a solution for this now and will explore alternatives for the time being.

1 Like

Hello @jtroxel, I completely understand. I was hoping to provide some kind of alternative option, but unfortunately, that is the best work-around I could think of for this situation. I’ll archive this for our support team and appreciate your feedback!